Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tracing Paper (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tracing-paper-t282994.html)

Bree123 10-14-2016 12:26 AM

Tracing Paper

I have 2 original designs I want to turn into quilts, but I'd really like to make sure they'll work on a larger scale. I'm thinking tracing paper would work the best for this purpose.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what to look for? Grids? Sheets or rolls? Shade of white or ivory? Anything else?

If you use tracing paper for design work, what are your favorite features about your preferred brand/style? Thanks in advance for any help. I've been working out a lot with actual fabric/muslin and was thinking this might help save some time.

ckcowl 10-14-2016 03:27 AM

To scale my original designs I use graph paper so I can get the size/ frame what I want. Then I can assign square size and determine pieces, yardage etc. I use tracing paper to copy/ trace appliqués for a master copy sometimes.

PaperPrincess 10-14-2016 03:50 AM

Not 100% sure I understand how you are going to use the tracing paper. You imply that instead of fabric/muslin you are going to use tracing paper? Are you thinking of actually constructing a block with it?

tessagin 10-14-2016 04:04 AM

I too am not sure of your question.

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7676585)
Not 100% sure I understand how you are going to use the tracing paper. You imply that instead of fabric/muslin you are going to use tracing paper? Are you thinking of actually constructing a block with it?

toverly 10-14-2016 05:35 AM

I just saw this at my Bee yesterday from another member. For enlarging a pattern, she scanned and put it in "Paint" on her computer. She printed out on 8 1/2 x 11 and taped them together. Then traced onto wide freezer paper paper for a complete pattern.

Quilt30 10-14-2016 06:12 AM

Not really sure what you are asking. Need to know something about the design. Is it patchwork, or appliqué some more info. Paper piecing etc.....can't give good suggestions not knowing more.o

Quilt30 10-14-2016 06:20 AM

But to answer your question in the last paragraph. My favorite graft paper is Clearprint brand 42" wide and I buy it in 20 yd rolls. gridded in 1" and 1/4" grids. Depends on the precision you need.

feline fanatic 10-14-2016 06:42 AM

I use tracing paper often for designing quilting motifs (the actual quilting part, not the piecing part), especially when the design repeats, mirrors, flips, etc like in Karen McTavish's "Elemental Quilting" technique. I have also used tracing paper for applique designs that would do the same thing (flip, turn, mirror the same "element" multiple times) or if I want perfect symmetry like a flower that is perfectly symmetrical I will draw half of the design then mirror it by tracing the reverse side of my "element".
When I want to see either full size or with all the repeats, I will draw the element full size as well as the finished shape the element is going to be filling up.
Assume I have a 6" applique element that will fill a 12" block and the applique is the same element repeated and turned 4 times and meets in the middle. I will draw my 12" square which is the shape I am filling. Then subdivide it into the 4 6" squares on my full size tracing paper. Then I will retrace my fraction of the design (the element) in each square turning it or flipping it as needed and retrace onto my master to visualize what the whole design will look like full size and also have a template for transferring the design onto my base fabric. I hope this makes sense.
For tracing paper, I use whatever brand is available but do try to get some larger size pads so I don't have to tape pages together to get full size. Like PP and Tessagin I'm not entirely clear what you are asking, just offering up the ways I use tracing paper in quilting and applique.

Bree123 10-14-2016 08:40 AM

Sorry for the confusion. I would usually take the time & money to make a muslin sample -- going through several iterations with sewing & everything. But my guild is very short on entries for our biannual show, so I thought by going with a full-sized tracing paper template I could work out any problems I have with making it full-sized without having to cut & re-cut my work.
I still plan to make my actual quilt out of standard quilter's cotton fabric. :thumbup:

Quilt30 10-14-2016 01:47 PM

Bree. I would like to help you but it is difficult not knowing what you are trying to do. Is that the two designs are"original" the reason you are not giving more information. It appears everyone is trying to guess what you are doing And trying to give some information which may or not be helpful.