Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Trading in one brand sewing machine for another? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/trading-one-brand-sewing-machine-another-t243167.html)

sval 03-14-2014 05:15 AM

Trading in one brand sewing machine for another?

Does anyone know if you can trade in a Janome at a Bernina Dealer? I know I can call, but the store doesn't open for an hour.
I hate my Janome. It doesn't do anything I had hoped for. It is an embroidery machine. I would prefer a really good machine over one with all the bells and whistles that I don't use.

alleyoop1 03-14-2014 05:22 AM

I think you need to call the store.

quilter1 03-14-2014 05:27 AM

IMHO, you can't beat a Bernina (spoken as one who has 4 Berninas). Many dealers will take a trade of another machine brand but it would be on an individual basis. Guess you will just need to wait until the store opens.

sval 03-14-2014 06:07 AM

I called the store. They don't take trade ins of non Berninas. And suggested selling it online. That can be a huge hassle. Guess I'm stuck with it.
I need a vacay.

mckwilter 03-14-2014 07:05 AM

Does the store you purchased your Janome at sell any other brands? The store here also sells Baby Lock, which is a very nice machine. Good luck.

Do you belong to a guild or are there any in your area? Our guild has a Want Ad section in their newsletter. I sold two older Singer machines which were given to me this way.

sash 03-14-2014 07:39 AM

What do you want your emb machine to do other than emb? That's what it does. I have Janome 350E and love it. Does exactly what it's suppose to do; now I do wish for a bigger hoop, but not enough to buy another more expensive one. I am sorry you don't like yours.

Candace 03-14-2014 07:46 AM

Go to a different dealer! Every dealer has a different trade in policy. Find one that will work with you. Though, you will make less money on trading it in than if you were to sell it yourself.

AnnieSue 03-14-2014 07:47 AM

Selling on E Bay is not too big of a hassle. Give it a try.

ManiacQuilter2 03-14-2014 07:49 AM

Is this the only Bernina dealership in your area? I agree with a previous post, if you belong to a quilt group of a guild, let it be known that you have a Janome for sale. I have always found that DSM dealers are much like used car dealers. You NEVER get what the item is really worth on a trade in. Good luck. You should love your Bernina. I have two Berninas I bought in the 90s and love them both!!

quiltstringz 03-14-2014 07:57 AM

I agree you never get from a dealer what you can get selling it yourself. Put the word out to your sewing buddies even if they aren't in the market they may know someone. Putting an ad in your guild newsletter is a great idea they usually aren't expensive and you are hitting your market. Also does your local quilt shop have a for sale bulletin board (assuming they don't sell machines) or even mention it when you are in the LQS they may know of someone.