Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Traingle ruler that will work with OBW: where? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/traingle-ruler-will-work-obw-where-t89754.html)

ArtisticDesign 01-11-2011 09:08 PM

Hi guys,

I'm about to start on my OBW soon...I know I can use any 60 degree ruler for this but, would really like a 60 degree equalaterial triangle ruler...I ordered one offline and it had the flat tip instead of the pointed ( totally bummed)
I've searched joanns-hobby lobby etc and couldnt find one)...
Does anyone knjow where I could order one offline?...Thanks bunches for any help

craftyone27 01-11-2011 09:10 PM

No idea about offline, but I ordered mine at Overstock.com. It was only about $8. Hope you find one soon!!

ArtisticDesign 01-11-2011 09:14 PM

Thanks craftyone, Do you happen to know what brand it was? To narrow down my search..

BKrenning 01-11-2011 09:23 PM

I use Kaye Woods' Star Maker 6. I believe it is pointed on top but has a line showing you where the tip needs to be clipped. I got mine at her booth in Paducah one year but it should be on her website, too.

Just curious, but why do you need the tip?

ArtisticDesign 01-11-2011 09:33 PM

Cause after extensive research (lil laugh) ..I read that having the tip helped you line up your hexagons better.

By the way, how do you like your Star Maker 6?...When I first started quilting/researching quilting ...I had seen a vid of kay woods making her tumbling blocks quilt...I fell in love with it...I ordered the pattern and whatever ruler it took to make it....
I just searched all my stuff to see if it was the star maker 6...And couldnt find it anywhere grrr.. But, I do believe that was the one...I've yet to try it...I didn't find much on this site when searching Kaye woods..

craftyone27 01-11-2011 10:11 PM

Mine is a "Quilter's Rule" fabric gripping 6" equilateral 60 degree ruler. Their website is www.quiltersrule.com. Like I said in my earlier post, I found this for about $8 on Overstock.com. Hope this helps!

amma 01-11-2011 10:22 PM

Actually, having that blunt end might make sewing these easier :D:D:D

ArtisticDesign 01-11-2011 10:43 PM

really amma?... kewl, now I have to go reread where to place the blunt tip etc lol...Thanks guys..

gaigai 01-11-2011 11:58 PM

You will still probably have the tip when you cut. How wide is the ruler you bought? If you are following the book, your strips are 3.75 inches. Most rulers (triangles) have horizontal lines on them so that you can align it with different size strips. If your ruler is taller (wider?) than 3.75 inches, then you will line it up and when you cut, you will still have your points, which are indeed needed when piecing the triangles.

connie_1936 01-12-2011 12:22 AM

the points on the triangles make it much easier to align your pieces. the star maker 6 works but doesn't have a 3 3/4 mark so i just measure down to were it would be and put a piece of masking take on to mark it.