Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Transferring quilt designs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/transferring-quilt-designs-t125406.html)

vivientan 05-24-2011 08:35 AM

What's the best way to transfer a quilt design from books onto a quilt? Instructions in my book says to trace the design on tracing paper, then sew on the tracing paper with the quilt sandwich underneath. I'm just wondering, will the tracing paper cause tension problems or cause the needle to be stucked somehow?

ckcowl 05-24-2011 08:42 AM

stitching on the paper is one way- another is to cut stencils and use a pounce pad- if your top is light enough you can possibly put the pattern under to top and trace it onto the top with a disappearing marker.

vivientan 05-24-2011 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
stitching on the paper is one way- another is to cut stencils and use a pounce pad- if your top is light enough you can possibly put the pattern under to top and trace it onto the top with a disappearing marker.

Will stitching on the paper lead to any problems? Is there a need to adjust thread tension or use the normal tension we use for FMQ?

barb55 05-24-2011 10:12 AM

It doesn't for me. It's just like paper piecing. You just make enough copies of the design and sew the design to your quilt and than tear the paper away.

CorgiNole 05-24-2011 10:23 AM

I have a roll of paper, forgot the name. It claims you can stack 15 pieces and use an unthreaded needle to punch the holes to follow the design. In essence it pre-scores the stitch lines so that the paper is easier to tear away later. I plan to use this for a design that I have in my head that I doubt I'll find in a traditional stencil.

Cheers, K

donnajean 05-24-2011 10:37 AM

I've printed the pattern on onion skin copy paper & then pinned the papers to the quilt & had no problem quilting with walking foot on my Viking Rose.

Dolphyngyrl 05-24-2011 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by CorgiNole
I have a roll of paper, forgot the name. It claims you can stack 15 pieces and use an unthreaded needle to punch the holes to follow the design. In essence it pre-scores the stitch lines so that the paper is easier to tear away later. I plan to use this for a design that I have in my head that I doubt I'll find in a traditional stencil.

Cheers, K

Is it the golden threads quilting paper, I just got some to try

vivientan 05-24-2011 06:34 PM

Can I use the normal tracing paper for crafts or baking sheets I use for lining trays? Or is there a specific kind for sewing I need to buy?

CorgiNole 05-25-2011 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl

Originally Posted by CorgiNole

Cheers, K

Is it the golden threads quilting paper, I just got some to try

Yes, I think it is golden threads. It is definitely gold colored.

Cheers, K

CorgiNole 05-25-2011 12:27 PM

I think you can use about any kind.

If you are going to pre-score the pattern (no thread), then use an old needle and expect to dull it.

Cheers, K