Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Trash To Treasure (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/trash-treasure-t216446.html)

BellaBoo 03-15-2013 12:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Talk about reusing. These are actual pics from my sewing room. LOL

[ATTACH=CONFIG]401899[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]401900[/ATTACH]

quiltstringz 03-15-2013 12:17 PM

OK Bella Boo - you win!!!!

QM 03-15-2013 12:18 PM

When I was young and rather broke, our town had one night a year for each section when people could put out anything they wanted to dispose of. I got a large kitchen worth of cabinets with which I transformed my basement into a fine sewing area. Other people put out carpet, light fixtures, etc. to make it a lovely work area. My Dad and I were regular raiders on those nights.

Sideways 03-15-2013 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz (Post 5930381)
OK Bella Boo - you win!!!!

Lol I agree!!!!

dakotamaid 03-15-2013 01:30 PM

QM, when I was as nanny in Chicago area there were neighborhoods that did the same thing. when I finally left my family (nanny family) to go out on my own I furnished my whole apartment from alley days!! It was such fun. My hubby and I are still scavengers at our ripe old age!!!

Sideways 03-15-2013 01:39 PM

Ok lol I confess. I try not to but sometimes at recycling I go dumpster diving. People throw out great books in the hardback book dumpster -- and if its a quilting book -- forget about it!! I'm there

cheryl222 03-15-2013 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got the bottom of a kitchen cabinet (2 door), used the top of junked entertainment center, covered that with a mattress pad and then teflon fabric from Joanns (the only purchased part) and made the most wonderful quilting iron table. It is large on the top so can hold a lot of pieces or iron large pieces easily. Plus, lots of good storage below!

twinkie 03-16-2013 03:11 AM

I do have an advantage because my DH is very creative and imaginative. I have many items that are "reused" for a different purpose.

miriam 03-16-2013 03:12 AM

I have been doing a lot of thinking about this. I am getting ready to do up a sewing room and a shop for my repairs. I have mainly found cool stuff at the thrift store or stuff we have had around. I picked the trash last week - there was an ironing board with legs that had gone pretzel. I took off the legs and the cover. Then I hung the ironing board on the wall. I haven't figured out if pegs will go in the holes or not but magnets sure do stick. I should paint it up cool some time. For now it is gray. I also found a wood medicine cabinet at a thrift store - it holds tons of stuff. The towel holder holds stuff, too. I use an old sewing table with a Formica sink cut out for my work bench. I look forward to more ideas here!

quilttiger 03-16-2013 03:13 AM

My favorite find is a long dresser without a mirror from Salvation Army. There are drawers on either end. The middle section has two small doors. When the doors are opened, there are three pull out drawers, PERFECT for holding spools of thread. I cleaned it up with furniture polish and new drawer pulls, etc. Then I painted the back of the dresser with the same color paint as the walls, and used 3M hooks for storing rulers, mats and so on. On top of the dresser is the Big Board for ironing. There's lots of storage, and it looks great, too.