Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Traveling question.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/traveling-question-t264826.html)

MargeD 05-06-2015 03:50 PM

It is definitely worth the trip to go to Keepsake Quilting. Not only will you enjoy the scenic ride there, the mountains, lakes, trees, etc., etc., but you will have a glorious experience at Keepsake. The staff is very friendly, and you will not believe the variety of fabrics that they have, with the fabrics organized in such a way that you should be able to find anything you want. Lots of books, patterns, notions, plus fabrics, fabrics and more fabrics. Can you tell that I love Keepsake? I don't go as often as I might like, but before my arthritis limited my driving, I tried to make the pilgrimage at least once a year. Also in the area is the factory for Anna Lee dolls and many other areas of interest as well as restaurants with good food, particularly Maine lobsters. Can you tell that I live in NH? Well, originally I grew up in SD, moved to Omaha, NE, met my husband who was stationed there in the Air Force, then we moved to NH when he returned home from Viet Nam. He was a computer repairman in the Air Force, and back in the early 70's, the only places for computers were CA, MN and New England. Since he had already spent a very snowy winter in Minneapolis/St. Paul before he left for Viet Nam, and his parents were in New England, here is where we moved, and started our lives together. Hope you can make the detour to Keepsake Quilting, I think you will be glad that you did.

Caroline94535 05-06-2015 04:09 PM

I would not even consider asking. I would tell them I'm going to Keepsake Quilting; I will have no time limits or distractions while there; I will stay as long as I like. I'd possibly try to be polite about it but it would be a "no exceptions" part of the trip. Hopefully she will like it, too; or like you enough that she will be happy for you to enjoy it.

I nearly always travel alone, and always do my limited "fun shopping" alone. The last trip we made to the east coast was in separate vehicles because I had shopping/sight seeing plans, and I did not want to risk not being able to escape from the MIL.

jitkaau 05-06-2015 07:03 PM

All travel is a two way street. Go to their suggestions and you suggest detours of your own. That is, unless there is another, specific agenda to the trip. Enjoy.

BETTY62 05-06-2015 07:35 PM

Just tell your friend that you would like to make the detour and ask her if there is something along the way that she would like to see or do that is outside of your planned route. You may be surprised by her answer.

pegquilter8 05-08-2015 02:51 PM

WORTH the trip. If only one in a quilter's life, S he should go Actually the he's enjoy it too.

Crqltr 05-08-2015 03:47 PM

Thanks everyone...we will hitting a few main spots along our trip but mostly just hit or miss on the extras. My sis is not a quilter but she goes shopping with me..I mostly wanted to make sure it was worth a detour..for me as well as her!

thrums 05-09-2015 05:55 AM

That's how I do it when I travel. My friends and I make a list of places we'd each like to see. Additionally, we know we're free to wander around and go outside if we desire to see what's nearby...shops, gardens, wildlife etc. It's a win:win. I've been to really interesting places I would never have thought of seeing.

quiltingbuddy 05-09-2015 07:31 AM

Yes, you have to go! It's a wonderful store and area. If I lived anywhere nearby I would go as often as possible! After the trip let us know what a wonderful time you had there ok? Enjoy!

Donnamarie 05-12-2015 06:09 AM

While in Boston, be sure to stop in Wakefield Center (20 mins from Boston going north towards Keepsake) and visit Quilters' Common Quilt Shop. It is owned by two sisters, Colette and Antoinette, and they are the most lovely, friendly women. The shop is jam packed with fabric and supplies. You won't be disappointed.

quiltqueen61 05-17-2015 07:25 AM

My daughter in law worked there a few years ago...such a wonderful shop...I would say it's one of the best in New England...it's definitely worth the trip...