Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Traveling Quilters... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/traveling-quilters-t163129.html)

QuiltnNan 10-25-2011 10:54 AM

calling the airline is great advice

dkabasketlady 10-25-2011 07:55 PM

I just flew back home to FL. from IN. with my Featherweight as my carry-on bag. I flew out of a small airport and they took the machine out of the bag I had it in to check it out really well even after going thru the x-ray. I made sure I had a case that had a handle & a carrying strap because wouldn't you know it I had to walk from one end of the airport to the other. Even though the Featherweights only weigh 11#'s they do tend to get heavy if you have to carry them any distance.

Quilt Mom 10-25-2011 08:00 PM

Sounds like I had better make a carry bag or get a rolling tote for her to manage the featherweight. Hmmm... I think I have some canvas and strap materials here. Best get started!

trisha 10-25-2011 08:04 PM

Why not just pack it up and mail it to her?

quiltyfeelings 10-25-2011 08:17 PM

Yes, just put it in the carryon and when you get to security, just tell them you have a sewing machine in there. If you tell them, they will look at the scanner and chuckle. If you don't tell them, they will open the bag and ask you to disassemble! Flew from Dallas/Fort Worth to Salt Lake City in April. No problems when I told them what it was! Just be sure to pack all cutters, scissors, etc. in checked baggage.

Quilt Mom 10-26-2011 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by trisha

I am not sure I have the skill to pack it well enough to send it through the mail. I realize others have done it, but it scares me to think of the possible tossing and dropping that packages get, and the featherweight in that context. But that is a thought.

Willa 10-26-2011 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i travel with my Featherweight from time to time and have never had a problem.

the most recent time was about 3 months ago.

i live in NY and as you can guess they are very strict and no one has had a problem with my carrying on the featherweight but they did take away my stork scissors - so just don't bring on scissors no matter how small they are.

Did your scissors come to a sharp point? If so that's why. I've taken a short blunt scissors and even showed it to them and was ok.

Willa 10-26-2011 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom

I am not sure I have the skill to pack it well enough to send it through the mail. I realize others have done it, but it scares me to think of the possible tossing and dropping that packages get, and the featherweight in that context. But that is a thought.

If you send through UPS they will help you pack it (they would actually prefer to help to make sure it is packaged correctly).

Quilt Mom 10-26-2011 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Willa

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom

If you send through UPS they will help you pack it (they would actually prefer to help to make sure it is packaged correctly).

That would be nice. I didn't think to ask about that.