Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tri-Recs Rulers/Tool (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tri-recs-rulers-tool-t253853.html)

bearisgray 09-16-2014 11:04 AM

Tri-Recs Rulers/Tool

I think it would be useful/helpful if the rulers/tool or the packaging had something on them/it saying that this is NOT a 30-60-90 or 60-60-60 ruler.

or

This tool is NOT suitable for hexagons.

I think, to the casual observer, that they might look like they could be interchangeably used - but that does not work out well.

Tartan 09-16-2014 11:45 AM

Bonnie Hunter uses the tri recs in some of her quilt designs. You would think the packaging could be a little clearer.

Terri D. 09-16-2014 02:52 PM

I've always had trouble with the Tri-Recs ruler set. I cut and sewed a ton of blocks using the patches cut with the ruler and they never came out to the size they were supposed to be. I ended up using Eleanor Burns' method to create that triangle in a square block that is so cool.

wesing 09-16-2014 05:19 PM

I tried the Tri Recs and it worked ok, but the Deb Tucker is my favorite for TIS units. You make them a tad oversized, then trim them down. She calls it the V-block trimmer. I'm in the process of making Liz Porter's "Emily's Wedding Quilt" for our oldest niece and have used the V-block trimmer A LOT. Every unit comes out the right size with the perfect quarter inch seam allowance.

oldtisme 09-16-2014 08:09 PM

Well poo, I have this set, but I'm a beginner so I am terrible at seeing a video or tutorial and thinking "hey that will help me", I have as yet to open the package I purchased 6 months ago :o

pennycandy 09-16-2014 10:17 PM

It would be very helpful if it was properly label. It is a 57* triangle. I want one someday so I can make a storm at sea.

ManiacQuilter2 09-17-2014 04:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was wondering WHY my Tri rec which has always been my go to ruler when making EB's 8 pointed stars. It matched the template in her book perfectly but I have had another triangle ruler that I have never used because it was different. Will have to see if that one is a perfect 60 degree ruler. How frustrating !!

carslo 09-17-2014 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by wesing (Post 6891797)
I tried the Tri Recs and it worked ok, but the Deb Tucker is my favorite for TIS units. You make them a tad oversized, then trim them down. She calls it the V-block trimmer. I'm in the process of making Liz Porter's "Emily's Wedding Quilt" for our oldest niece and have used the V-block trimmer A LOT. Every unit comes out the right size with the perfect quarter inch seam allowance.

I used the Tri Rec tools to make Emily's Wedding Quit and it turned great. I had no trouble using the tools suggested in the pattern.

pjnesler 09-18-2014 07:50 AM

I used the Tri-recs making my last Bonnie Hunter - worked out fine for me, she does such a great job on instructing us how to use the different rulers, if she hadn't, I'm sure I would never have used any of the specialty rulers! As you say, packaging isn't that helpful.

bearisgray 09-18-2014 08:51 AM

The whole point of this post is:

The triangle in a square unit (where the unit ends up being a SQUARE) can not be made with a 30-60-90 and 60-60-60 degree triangles.

Nor can a hexagon unit be made with triangles that make a triangle in a square unit.

At least, not if one wants the unit to lay flat.