Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A trick for tangled thread while hand quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/trick-tangled-thread-while-hand-quilting-t115832.html)

missjamee 05-13-2011 04:50 AM

never have a problem when i use glazed hand quilting thread...tho i use thread heaven for my cross stitch

Pamtngirl1 05-13-2011 05:23 AM

Thanks for the tip, never knew of the dryer sheet, I did the beeswax as well...

Carol's Quilts 05-13-2011 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Janis
I'm late at reading the posts here, but if anyone is still watching this, do you have trouble with your needle unthreading? If so, after you thread your needle, put the point of your needle through center of the thread of the short tail that you have to keep your needle threaded. Yes, you will be splitting the thread with the needle. Pull the needle through the thread, and it will knot it's self on the needle. It is easier with thicker thread than thinner thread, but I use this with my regular sewing thread too. It keeps me from losing a needle on the floor, or where ever I am, and also will keep the needle easy to find in the pincushion as it won't come unthreaded and go into the pincushion. To unthread the needle, just pull on that short tail and you'll get a loop and can pull the thread off the needle. Try this, It really does work! I hope this helps! I'd like to know if anyone else tries this and likes doing it. Or am I the only one who does this?

I tried this over and over and couldn't do it, even with my magnifying goggles on! How on earth do you push the needle through that skinny thread? Your eyes must be a whole lot better than mine!

Janis 05-13-2011 07:47 PM

Just keep trying and sooner or later, you'll be able to do it. Try it with a little thicker thread and a thin needle at first. That might help. Some threads are very thin. You could also try untwisting the thread a little where you want to put the needle through, but that way you need a little longer piece of thread at the end of where your twist is, maybe a couple of inches or so. If you do it too close to the end, the thread will untwist and will slip out of the knot. Do you have any yarn or crochet thread that you can try it with first? My old eyes are near- sighted if that helps!
Good luck!
Janis

Carol's Quilts 05-15-2011 01:58 PM

Just keep trying and sooner or later, you'll be able to do it. Try it with a little thicker thread and a thin needle at first. That might help. Some threads are very thin. You could also try untwisting the thread a little where you want to put the needle through, but that way you need a little longer piece of thread at the end of where your twist is, maybe a couple of inches or so. If you do it too close to the end, the thread will untwist and will slip out of the knot. Do you have any yarn or crochet thread that you can try it with first? My old eyes are near- sighted if that helps!
Good luck!
Janis

Thanks, Janis. I'll keep trying!

Leota 05-15-2011 02:02 PM

When I was taught hand quilting, my instructor told us to measure our thread length from finger tip to elbow to avoid, fraying, knots and tangles.
I always used bees wax or candle wax to add glide to the thread.

Holice 05-15-2011 02:07 PM

I use "tacky finger" the stuff you get at the office supply store to put on your fingers when sorting paper. Keeps my thread from tangling.

leggz48 07-22-2011 10:55 PM

I love the dryer sheet idea; and Janis, I like your idea about preventing the loss of thread from the needle....will try both! Thanks.

Carol's Quilts 07-24-2011 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts

Good luck! Janis

Thanks, Janis. I'll keep trying!

Nope - just couldn't do it - I gave up. I'm going back to my old method. When I'm pulling the needle (with my right hand) through the fabric to make a stitch, I just hold my left thumb over the thread as it is going through the fabric and it never tangles - works for me.

MelodyWB 07-24-2011 07:46 AM

I just learned it last year..when a member of my Weds group.. showed us all !!!