Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tried it a different way! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tried-different-way-t249971.html)

Geri B 07-11-2014 05:31 PM

Tried it a different way!

I have been preparing hexies for GFG...about a dozen flowers glued to paper patterns...so decided to sew one together..... The other day I rec'd the Mickey Depre's book on her version of hexies and while reading I read how she joins hers together....not face to face as I do, but she does face to face at corner, does a few stitches there, then opens onto the palm of her hand, back side up and does the stitches, just nipping the edges of each hexie. .......so, I thought, let me try this because it seemed on my last GFG no matter how tiny those stitches were when I opened it up I could see thread.....so I did...a bit clumsy at first, but then got the hang go it and believe it or not when I turned to right side...not a thread to be seen! Just thought I would share Mickey Depre's little tip with you. Or maybe you already know this and I am the Johnny come lately!

Peckish 07-11-2014 06:31 PM

Kind of hard to envision without illustrations. :thumbup: Maybe I'll see if my library has Mickey's book.

I've always liked the ladder stitch for hand-sewing. Unlike whip stitching, you can't see the stitches when you're done.

Tartan 07-11-2014 06:58 PM

Mickey Dupree collaborated on a quilt and classes with Bonnie Hunter. She did some amazing designs with piecing within the hexagon shapes. I believe they did a book/pattern together?

lynnie 07-11-2014 07:19 PM

thanks for the great idea. I'm doing 3/4" and it's about 40 x 48 now. should
i switch to your method, or stay where i am???

Geri B 07-12-2014 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6796856)
Mickey Dupree collaborated on a quilt and classes with Bonnie Hunter. She did some amazing designs with piecing within the hexagon shapes. I believe they did a book/pattern together?

Yes, and I have that book too...rather thin and I really was not umpresses...I understand Bonnie and her are friends and it was Bonnie who encouraged her to continue her design idea with the pieced hexies....I like mickey's two books...she has/had- class on crafty...I think I will look into it

Geri B 07-12-2014 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 6796880)
thanks for the great idea. I'm doing 3/4" and it's about 40 x 48 now. should
i switch to your method, or stay where i am???

Try one this way and see if you see a difference...to change methods is your decision

Susann 07-12-2014 05:14 AM

Does anyone know where to actually see pictures/videos showing this? I can't seem to figure it out and don't have any of her books.

wolph33 07-12-2014 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 6796820)
Kind of hard to envision without illustrations. :thumbup: Maybe I'll see if my library has Mickey's book.

I've always liked the ladder stitch for hand-sewing. Unlike whip stitching, you can't see the stitches when you're done.

I agree hard to envision without detailed pics

KLO 07-12-2014 05:33 AM

I have not done any hexies yet (although there are some in the queue) but I have done some pieced houses. My stitches always seem to show up on the front too so I am going to try this method to see how it looks. It sounds like it should so I am hopeful.

Onebyone 07-12-2014 06:29 AM

Does anyone know where to actually see pictures/videos showing this? I can't seem to figure it out and don't have any of her books.
Mickey Dupree has a video class on Crafty teaching the pieced hexies.