Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   trimming the edges of quilt to be even? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/trimming-edges-quilt-even-t76835.html)

julie777 11-16-2010 07:20 PM

ok maybe my mother is old school she taught me to leave about a fourth inch more of the backing and sew binding on right side first and fold over everything, i watched youtube as replys came in and front and back were even is that the way to do it? and i always hand stitched after sewing binding on i kind of liked the idea to use sewing machine to sew the whole way alot faster i think

cherylynne 11-16-2010 07:21 PM

I usually leave a little batting and backing so my binding is full when I turn it under.

grammyp 11-16-2010 07:22 PM

I always trim mine even have never heard of leaving the back wider unless you are going to fold it over for the binding.

amma 11-16-2010 07:22 PM

I cut the whole sandwich even on the sides.. I hadn't heard of leaving the backing longer, unless you were wrapping it around to the front to use for the binding.

I machine sew my bindings onto the back side of the quilt, wrap it around to the front and machine sew them down.
Decorative stitches are a pretty way of sewing them down, or a blanket stitch :D:D:D

Sadiemae 11-16-2010 07:28 PM

I read once that if you want a flat binding, trim edges even. If you want a puffier binding, leave a tiny little more batting and backing.

littlehud 11-16-2010 08:00 PM

I have tried it both ways. I like the look better if I trim it even. It's just a matter of choice.

Beginner64 11-16-2010 08:02 PM

I agree with Sadiemae, leave about half or three quarters of an inch of batting and backing to rap around the front. Then turn under the backing one quarter of an inch and fancy stitch to the front.

Annaleehunter 11-17-2010 01:41 AM

I have read that if you want to show your quilt, which I do not, the judges look for a full binding.

SueDor 11-17-2010 02:30 AM

I make my binding wider than most people so I definitely have batting and backing about 1/2 in. I also sew my binding on. So much faster.

watterstide 11-17-2010 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I cut the whole sandwich even on the sides.. I hadn't heard of leaving the backing longer, unless you were wrapping it around to the front to use for the binding.

I machine sew my bindings onto the back side of the quilt, wrap it around to the front and machine sew them down.
Decorative stitches are a pretty way of sewing them down, or a blanket stitch :D:D:D

Amma, how do you make sure it hits the binding on the back,when you machine sew on the front? do you know of a good video to show how to do this? i machine quilt the binding on, it looks good on the front, but rarely on the back.
i can not hand sew, due to fibromyalgia, and the hands just won't co-operate!

and i trim my quilts right to the fabric usually.