Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Trip to Lancaster (Amish) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/trip-lancaster-amish-t158451.html)

SSTeacher 10-07-2011 03:18 AM

Oops--Souders is the correct spelling. There is also the Fulton Steamboat Hotel and just up the road is the Millennium Theater (1-800-377-1277). There were two theaters run by the same people (Sight and Sound closed recently). The play, "Jonah" will be showing starting in March 2012. It would be the greatest experience of your life. An eating experience is also at Shady Maple (out a ways, but oh so much food from which to choose).

Phone number for Eden Resort is 1-888-477-7754.

Sure would love to know when in May you are making your trip.

vlm219 10-07-2011 03:24 AM

The Lancaster area is beautiful-lots to see. I was at a conference in Hershey in Sept a few years ago and we toured the area. The towns are so quaint and cute. The Hershey Lodge has yummy chocolate drinks!! Enjoy your trip.

QuiltinMama 10-07-2011 03:41 AM

Lancaster has so much to see...you have to try the Shoo fly pie...!! Go to the amish fabric store called Zooks.. they also own Sauders.. which is my fav. (if you want get the map from their store and it has directions there) Try the pretzels and the homemade kettle corn at Kitchen Kettle shopping area... yes lots of shopping and stores ... intercourse has the Country store and lots of touristy stuff..
Enjoy your trip and time here in USA!
Hugs
Quiltinmama

She In PA 10-07-2011 04:05 AM

After you fly in rent a car. There is a nice clean, not fancy, reasonable price I have stayed at it's Smoketown Inn. Also there is a great fabric shop that sells Moda Fabric and it's in the bottom of a house. Then she has a garage filled with fat quarters, and backs. Sylvia Petersheim Quilts
2544 Old Philadelphia Pike, Bird in Hand, PA 17505-9796
(717) 392-6404. There are just a ton of shops. Another thing we like to do is go to Sight and Sound Theater. It is a christian run theater and does play from the Bible. Huge, fabulous ellabrate prodution. Next year is Jonah. All the shops close at 5, and not open on Sundays. Enjoy your trip. I love it there.

helou 10-07-2011 04:12 AM

I am reading all your information with great interest. We will be driving that way in just about 1 month. Thank you ladies

janekonowitz 10-07-2011 04:19 AM

I live an hour from Lancaster, and I have stayed at the Marriott that is connected to the Lancaster Convention Center. It is very nice. Make sure you get to Intercourse, they have great fabric shops. Zooks and The Old Country Store are two of my favorites. As a matter of fact I am headed up there today. Intercourse is about 30 minutes from the Marriott. Great outlet shopping also. Have a great time.

Steady Stiching 10-07-2011 04:38 AM

I always check trip advisor for reviews on hotels restraunts and attractions, plus...send for a travel guide for the area

http://www.padutchcountry.com/travel...avel-guide.asp

mimistutz 10-07-2011 05:01 AM

I live about an hour from Lancaster and we go camping there frequently and never get tired of it. I know you will have a great time in Lancaster no mater which of the wonderful suggestions you decide to do.

Wouldn't it be great if all of us close enough, could meet up for lunch and spend some time together and with our friend from across the big pond? The biggest problem would deciding where to go, as everybody has thier favorites they want to show off. But I think we could work that out.

Your probably overwhelmed with suggestions by now, but I'll add mine anyway. A nice place for lunch that we like more than the buffet at Shady Maple is Dienners in Ronks.

Sunnie 10-07-2011 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by mimistutz
Wouldn't it be great if all of us close enough, could meet up for lunch and spend some time together and with our friend from across the big pond? The biggest problem would deciding where to go, as everybody has thier favorites they want to show off. But I think we could work that out.

Great idea.

Homemother 10-07-2011 05:34 AM

We were in Ireland last year!!! Love love love your country! We were in the southern part of the country because our son was there for his study abroad. I was disappointed we didn't have enough time to head north. Maybe next time!

We live about 45 minutes from Lancaster and took a drive around and visited shops last month. Soooo much fun! Bring an extra suitcase! If we lived closer, we would put you up and give you breakfast and send you out for the day!

Can't advise you on lodgings. The Harrisburg airport is close to that area. In fact, a couple of the shops we visited were close to the airport. From the Philadelphia airport, it's about an hour and a half drive to Lancaster, traffic permitting of course.

Have a fabulous trip!