Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   trouble with piecing/keeping end of seam straight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/trouble-piecing-keeping-end-seam-straight-t250766.html)

earthwalker 07-25-2014 10:05 PM

I don't have a stiletto, just use a big wooden sate stick and leaders and enders....saved me lots of frustration when I was a beginner.

Knitette 07-25-2014 11:14 PM

What's a 'sate' stick????

earthwalker 07-26-2014 01:27 AM

Those bamboo wooden skewer thingys to make kebabs and grilled stuff on a stick.

Knitette 07-26-2014 01:43 AM

Ah! Thanks - we call them satay sticks, lol.

Silver Needle 07-26-2014 05:08 AM

I use a stiletto and also watch to keep my fabric on the left perpendicular to the needle plate all the way through until I am ready to stitch on the Ender.

Geri B 07-26-2014 05:36 AM

Cheaper way....buy shishkabob skewers at grocery store...probably 100 in pkg.....because they are quite long you can cut in half...enough stilettos for a long time..and if needle does hit it...less damage than the metal stiletto...also those cut ends can be sharpened in pencil sharpener...a whole new batch of stilettos!

gigi712 07-26-2014 08:07 AM

I used to struggle with this, too, on the same machine, altho most machines will do it if you don't use one of the methods mentioned above. Leaders and enders work better for me. Good luck to you in whatever you decide that works for you.

MamaHen 07-26-2014 08:23 AM

I sure hated when my 7700 did that, so very hard to keep that end of seam straight. I think it has to do with the design of the feed dogs & that O2 1/4" foot. Together they seem to push the fabric to the left. I did purchase a new 1/4" foot for my Baby Lock & tried it on the 7700, it worked much nicer & the seams stayed straighter. I only paid around $6.00 for it off Ebay. The only difference I could tell was that the 1/4" guide on the right of the foot was not as deep as the O2 foot. If you can find a foot like that it may help tremendously. Did sell my 7700 after buying my Baby Lock, got pissed at it because that exact thing happened way too much.

Onebyone 07-26-2014 09:08 AM

I learned how to prevent this on any machine from Bonnie Hunter. Keep your left finger on the left side of the foot when coming to the end of a seam. It works. It's automatic for me to do this now. Bonnie has solutions to prevent common problems when piecing. Her workshops are just not for making a quilt pattern, it's how to piece. This is why taking classes from good instructors is worth it. All their experience is not in their books or patterns.

ManiacQuilter2 07-26-2014 09:14 AM

I have a tendency to wonder off at the end so I have painters tape (about six layers) to keep me in line with marking the 1/4" seam allowance on the bed of my Bernina. Yes, and start using enders when done with your stitching. That will help too....