Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The Truth Behind Sewing Machines: Reality On True Sewing Machine Features 4 Quilt/Sew (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/truth-behind-sewing-machines-reality-true-sewing-machine-features-4-quilt-sew-t307041.html)

ckcowl 09-22-2019 03:49 PM

I’ve had my Viking Designer one for 15 years now. I do have the embroidery ( module) for it and go through phases, used it at first a lot, last few years very rarely. I love many of the features of my Viking. When I get out one of my ( simpler) machines I feel like I’ve become ( spoiled) - very used to those special features. The machine has held up very well to years of heavy sewing. I do Love my little singer 99K it sews the most beautiful, consistent straight stitch. When absolute precision is needed that is the machine to turn to. In the 15 years I’ve had my Viking it has only been in for service twice. I do have a 25 year old machine I inherited from my aunt, I like it ok- I only get it out when I have someone else here to sew, or have a lesson and when I’m taking a class- I don’t like hauling my big, heavy Viking to classes- have always worried something would happen to It hauling it around.

MarionsQuilts 09-22-2019 03:54 PM

I have been quilting for just over 15 years. My first machine was the husqvarna Sapphire - loved it. I wanted to have a quilting sewing machine that would do everything I wanted to do, and not get held back on a project because I didn't have the tools.

Two years ago I bought the brother dreamweaver - yes, it's a very pricey machine, but I have made a point of using almost every single feature on that machine. The ones I don't use - buttonholes, etc. are mainly because I don't sew clothes.

I recently posted about my frustration that I was having with my machine (for the last 6 months) - the bobbin sensor quit working. Now, some of you will laugh at me, but hey, when you learn to quilt on a machine with all the bells and whistles, you get very used to them!

I was getting very frustrated because the dealer kept blaming me. To make a long story short, I contacted brother online, told them about the whole situation. They were fabulous! They sent me a box with bubble wrap, paper, tape, and a new label. I packaged my machine up, sent them an email and said it's ready. UPS picked it up when I said they could. It arrived in Montreal at the headquarters. I got video updates, pictures, explanations, etc. like you wouldn't believe! Turns out my dealer wasn't doing their job properly - they were only cleaning "the sensor" not the whole inside ... so of course within a week, the sensor quit working again! The amount of lint / dust that was inside my machine was shocking, especially since I had it to the dealer at least 7 times in the last 6 months!

I got my machine back with lots of new accessories as a "sorry you were without your machine for a week" The customer service was phenomenal.

I do have a little brother machine, I paid $200 for it at walmart. And it's a great little machine for piecing blocks together.

But when I go to quilt, I absolutely love having my big machine. The possibilities of how to finish my quilt are only limited by my creativity!

donna13350 09-22-2019 04:01 PM

My oldest computerized machine is over 20 years old and still going strong(a Singer CE100 embroidery machine)..the only drawback is Singer stopped updating it for newer versions of Windows years ago, but there is a way to run old software on new IOS versions. When I first got that machine, .I figured it only had so much life in it, and didn't want to waste it on sewing, just kept it for embroidery..now I know better. I have 2 newer computerized embroidery machines, and a computerized sewing machine, as well as a computerized longarm. My experience has been that they last a long, long time, and prices have come down so far that the sewing machines, available at any store for a hundred or so dollars, work very well, last forever and can be disposed of without regrets if the time comes.

IrishNY 09-22-2019 04:03 PM

I have a computerized Bernina that I bought in 1994 that runs beautifully. At some price points, I would expect that I would just replace a machine if it stopped working. At others, I expect much longer life and stellar service if I have a problem.

donna13350 09-22-2019 04:06 PM

I went through the same thing with a chest freezer that was only 3 years old..but my schematic had a code to put in for repairmen..I had nothing to lose so entered the code..it brought up the bad part number! I went on line and found one, it was here in 2 days..it was simply a matter of unplugging the old part and plugging in the new one..sometimes computerized things can die, but it is the world we live in, so we need to adapt. I certainly don't want to go back to manual defrosting days!!!!

Originally Posted by bkay (Post 8304686)
Everything is disposable now. My six year old Frigidaire range just went out. At first we weren't going to fix it. The repairman said it would be $350.00, as the main board was out. However, DH and I couldn't agree on what to buy, so decided to fix the range we have. So we spent $260.00 to buy the board and replaced it ourselves. The problem was that the board wasn't what was wrong. The heat sensor was bad ($40.00 and 15 minutes). The appliance guy just scammed us. If I had known how to read the schematic sheet that came with the range, I would have known it was the probe. It was clearly written right there. (The local do-it-yourself appliance guy showed me how to read it).

The same week, my HE washing machine went on the fritz. It needs a new board. Just the board is $160.00. (It's about the same age as the range.)

The whole philosophy of disposable machines is disturbing. If one lousy board is unavailable, the whole thing is dead. Think of the damage to the environment with all the stuff that lands in the landfill. Manufacturing these electronic gadgets uses horrible chemicals and metals. Someone has to clean up that mess and it's usually the tax payer and end user.

I'll get off my soapbox, now. I guess this last couple of weeks of dying machines opened my eyes to the cost of our "smart" machines.

bkay

sewingpup 09-22-2019 04:28 PM

well....I am spoiled and have spent far to much on new machines over the years.....I too have an old Viking D1...which was top of the ine when I bought it....I did a ton of embroidery on it, made quilts, made draperies...that thing did everything plus had a decent straight stitch...unfortunately, when one of the boards go out on it now...it is toast, they don't make them anymore...it even has a floppy drive for the embroidery disks....I agree...basically what you need to quilt....is a nice straight stitch....you can cover the feed dogs if they do not drop....and that is what you need....however, I am totally spoiled by the D1 and just bought myself a Bernina 570 ( the new one for some reason Bernina gives some new machines old numbers....) Anyway...the Bernina has a larger throat, needle up/down..I can tell it to always stop with the needle down, I set the presser foot for "hover" so I can easily turn the fabric when I stop stitching as the hover automatically raises the presser foot just a little, has a thread cutter, has a drop down walking foot, came with a stitch regulator for free motion quilting, has a larger bobbin, has videos that show on the screen to do things like wind a bobbin, thread the machine, clean it, and oil it (just the bobbin race) and it has a serpentine stitch which I can modify when I machine stitch my binding down. Also has the capability to do embroidery which I haven't tried yet on this machine but have lots of designs it can use in my stash....and it has a wonderful blanket stitch for appliques amoung a lot of other stitches....like I will be lucky if I use 5% of the stitches....I also bought a little Bernina 215 to take to classes.....or whatever....I had a gem gold which I used to use but gave that one to my nephew as it lacked the ability to modify stitch length and only had three.....I think with the more complicated machines....they really are sewing computers and have a definite life spam before you have to replace them...just like smart phones and computers.....

quiltedsunshine 09-22-2019 05:28 PM

I want a new machine. I have my eye on the Bernina 590. I'd like to do machine embroidery.

My little Bernina 230 has a shadow on the right side of the presser foot, and only one little light on the left side of the needle. So I want a better light and the 590 has 16 led lights!

I also want the presser foot to hover with the needle down. I think it would be great for applique.

The thread cutter seems like a dream, but from a tech's perspective, it's a nightmare.

I've used the fonts on my little Bernina for "Activity Days" group of girls. That was fun to put their names on fabric bracelets. And "WWJD" and "CTR." The girls used some of the decorative stitches. I've used the fonts for a hat I made for a quilt guild competition. It was my "thinking cap," which I attached a lightbulb above it. I've put baby names around receiving blankets and burp cloths.

I have dreams of creating my own fabric with delicate embroidery designs.

Reality says, I don't "need" all the bells and whistles. But my imagination could do so much if it had time and a new sewing machine!

deedum 09-22-2019 06:57 PM

I have a love for old machines and a love for the newer computerized machines. So I have some of both. Mainly, I just use the straight stitch & zig zag stitch 99% of the time. No doubt the vintage machines are tanks & will out last any newer plastic machines. The newer machines has longevity also, just not quite as much. I have had my Janome MC for 15 yrs & she is still going.

SusieQOH 09-22-2019 07:05 PM

I just bought a Bernina 770 because I fell in love with it and I don't have many other addictions in my life :)
I've had a Bernina computerized (150QE) since 2001 and it runs like the day I bought it and has never had a trip to the repair shop.
I also have FW's, and a couple of other old Singers that I love and use occasionally, knowing that I will always have a backup if I need it.
I've never been fond of cheaper machines because of the disposability factor. I'd rather have an old Singer any day that something not made to last. I'm like that about a lot of things.
I do see your point but I guess I don't really agree with it. I love the bells and whistles. For me they making sewing more enjoyable.

Jingle 09-22-2019 07:15 PM

I use one of two straight stitch only machines everyday. I keep them cleaned and oiled. They are 12 and 9 years ole. They have never needed repairs. I have other machine with fancy stitches but I haven't used them since buying these two machines.