Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Trying to downsize (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/trying-downsize-t210594.html)

ube quilting 01-11-2013 06:03 PM

@ Sewbizgirl: Thanks for the great info on maxilock. I still have a lot to learn about thread. There is so much out there.

Is there a single source of info to go to for learning about thread? Maybe I should just google it and not be so lazy!
thanks again.
peace

maviskw 01-12-2013 05:59 AM

Fonz and Porter had this question on their Saturday morning show a few years back. They said the thread is lighter, therefore you get a lot more on your bobbin. The only difference is: serger thread is two ply, while most sewing threads are three ply. They said you would be fine using the cones of serger thread.

The reason the serger thread broke on the knits, is that the needle threads in serging are straight and flat, and any thread is likely to break on knits that stretch. Try to give a tug on those pieces as they go through the serger and see if that helps.

LindaR 01-12-2013 06:04 AM

isn't serger thread polyester??? I wouldn't use it in a quilt. JMHO

huntannette 01-12-2013 06:14 AM

I mostly serge my fabrics before washing....any color thread would do since you cut that edge off....

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2 (Post 5775485)
Being a new year etc. I have the downsizing and organizing bug. When I first got my serger I went crazy and purchased thread for it in lots of different shades etc. It wasn't long before I figured out that changing four threads for every little project was a big pain. I probably own more than 50 spools of serger thread in different colors etc. I don't longarm and only basically machine quilt Linus quilts. What can I use all of that serger thread for? Is it alright for machine quilting or as bobbin thread for embroidery?
I use my serger to do the basic sewing on my Linus quilts as most of them are just lengths of colorful child friendly prints backed with flannel and layered with batting. I make them envelope style and "birth" them. I sew the "envelope" with the serger, it cuts down on bulk and makes the seam sturdy. Since those seams are hidden I just use white or cream colored thread for them.
Once they are turned I machine quilt them very simply with a decorative stitch and often varigated thread.

sew_itnow 01-12-2013 06:25 AM

I may not know what I am talking about but I have used Maxi-Lock thread for regular sewing, serving and quilting for many many years. I have never had a problem with it. JMHO

carolynjo 01-12-2013 06:47 AM

I have never had a problem with it.

cheryl222 01-12-2013 06:49 AM

Count me in as one who uses serger thread for piecing , quilting, and any other sewing I do. I even use Walmart brand regularly. I have never had any problems and breakage is not a problem. I have never been able to understand the argument that cotton thread will last forever. I know for a fact, having several very old quilts, that cotton thread "rots" as my grandma use to say. I also have noticed old spools of thread that are cotton do break very easily (rotten thread!!!) but old spools of polyester (and I have several from Grandma) do not. That is my humble opinion on the matter.

jhoward 01-12-2013 07:07 AM

There was a quilt Eleanor Burns made with a serger. That was a few yrs ago.

vickig626 01-12-2013 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2 (Post 5775485)
Being a new year etc. I have the downsizing and organizing bug. When I first got my serger I went crazy and purchased thread for it in lots of different shades etc. It wasn't long before I figured out that changing four threads for every little project was a big pain. I probably own more than 50 spools of serger thread in different colors etc. I don't longarm and only basically machine quilt Linus quilts. What can I use all of that serger thread for? Is it alright for machine quilting or as bobbin thread for embroidery?
I use my serger to do the basic sewing on my Linus quilts as most of them are just lengths of colorful child friendly prints backed with flannel and layered with batting. I make them envelope style and "birth" them. I sew the "envelope" with the serger, it cuts down on bulk and makes the seam sturdy. Since those seams are hidden I just use white or cream colored thread for them.
Once they are turned I machine quilt them very simply with a decorative stitch and often varigated thread.

Not an expert on serger thread but believe it's simply 100% polyester. Not sure what the weight is though. I wouldn't hesitate using it for sewing. I buy Gutterman 50 wt. all-purpose polyester thread and pretty much just use that now for whatever I'm working on. Hope the "quilt police" don't read this or I'll get yelled at for not using 100% cotton thread for quilting. I do use it but depends on the project. A gift project quilt will be all cotton so hopefully that covers me with the "police" LOL

As for the serger, I had a basic model and agree it's a pain to thread. I got to where I wasn't using it because if I broke a thread, I stopped using it until I was up to rethreading it. I finally broke down and upgraded to an air-thread system Babylock serger. LOVE LOVE LOVE this serger. Takes about 2 minutes to switch threads.

vickig in mi

MartiMorga 01-12-2013 09:37 AM

As usuall great info. Have also "inherited" lots of cone thread and will now use it in more instances than just serging (by the way, which i love)