Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Trying to FM with 301 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/trying-fm-301-a-t128313.html)

Glenda m 06-05-2011 04:24 PM

What am I not doing right? The instructions show to darn you don't have to have a foot. Ok. Everything is threaded, feed dogs are lowered, foot lever is down. Skipping stiches. So. Do I have to have a FM foot? I have one ordered, so if I do for sure, think I have that covered. Help!!!!

Holice 06-05-2011 04:33 PM

some say you can without the darning foot but i have never been able to. so get the foot you will have less frustration. and less likely to sew thru your finger.

cctx. 06-05-2011 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
some say you can without the darning foot but i have never been able to. so get the foot you will have less frustration. and less likely to sew thru your finger.

Amen to that!
Yes, please get the foot first.

KatFish 06-05-2011 05:05 PM

I haven't had any luck with out the foot.

Jingle 06-05-2011 05:13 PM

I always use a darning foot. My 1962 Singer shows darning without a foot, not sure I have tried it.

SherriB 06-05-2011 05:17 PM

I have a 301 also and have issues with FMQ. I bought 2 darning presser feet (first one didn't work with machine) and still have skipped stitches. I hope someone will have an answer. I really want to try FMQ on my quilts.

Charlee 06-05-2011 05:25 PM

By "skipping stitches" do you mean that the needle penetrates but doesn't catch the bobbin thread? Or do you mean large (or very large) stitches?

I'm not sure what would cause the first problem...the second one is operator error. ;)

Glenda m 06-05-2011 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
By "skipping stitches" do you mean that the needle penetrates but doesn't catch the bobbin thread? Or do you mean large (or very large) stitches?

I'm not sure what would cause the first problem...the second one is operator error. ;)

Doesn't pick up the bobbin thread. Sews regular stiches just fine. (Love this machine)
As for the large stitches...Plenty of those when I first started learning. LOL

dashton4 06-05-2011 05:57 PM

Oooh. I'm glad I read this. I'll be getting the foot before I try it. I've seen them sew with the bare needle and it just gives me the creeps. I don't think it's very expensive, if you can find it.

pennijanine 06-05-2011 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Glenda m
What am I not doing right? The instructions show to darn you don't have to have a foot. Ok. Everything is threaded, feed dogs are lowered, foot lever is down. Skipping stiches. So. Do I have to have a FM foot? I have one ordered, so if I do for sure, think I have that covered. Help!!!!

I was taking a FMQ class with my 301. It started to skip stitches and I took off the needle plate and I swear!!! There was so much lint under it, it looked like a carpet!!! Be careful taking it off, your bobbin case has to go back in exactly the way it was!!