Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Trying not to buy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/trying-not-buy-t237264.html)

Ccorazone 12-23-2013 07:25 AM

Trying not to buy

My LQS is having a pre-inventory sale and trying my darnedest not to buy fabric. I have so much I have acquired from retail shops, garage sales and estate sales that I could sew for a long time and still not use it all.. I did buy some of their wonderful patterns though. I may go again before the sale is over just to have one last look. lol

ontheriver 12-24-2013 05:25 AM

I've been so tempted by all the sale emails I have been getting but so far have resisted. I did shop the thanksgiving sale at Joann's.

Deb watkins 12-24-2013 05:32 AM

I hear your anguish over fabric purchasing! I am also well stocked with fabric , but there are projects that just need a new yard (or) two. Material Rewards in Dansville, NY has a wonderful 25% off sale Super Bowl weekend, I have gone for the past two years (THANKS GagaSmith!) and made some hefty purchases. I do love to look at the patterns and books though!

Tartan 12-24-2013 05:39 AM

When I see a great fabric sale I try to find neutral backs. I have a lot of fabric in my stash but few pieces big enough for backing a quilt.

willferg 12-24-2013 07:01 AM

It's a rare good feeling when I go to a fabric sale, look at everything, and then walk away without finding anything I feel compelled to buy. All the joy of shopping, none of the guilt of adding to my stash. Like I said, it's a rare good feeling...;)

Jackie Spencer 12-24-2013 07:11 AM

Our LQS is having an in-store only, 25% off store wide sale, on New Years Day. I have not seen the inside of a Quilt Shop in almost a year. My daughters gave me $200.00 for Christmas, they said it was for my Quilting and to have fun spending it. I called 5 of my Quilting Friends, I think were going to make a day of it, including lunch. I can hardly wait!!

mighty 12-24-2013 09:32 AM

I would really love to add to my stash it seems to be shrinking alot, yeaks!!!!

Rodney 12-24-2013 10:30 AM

It seems there is never quite enough of the right fabrics to actually finish a project without buying more. Pick a project, pick from your stash and use the sale only to fill in the blanks. You'll be able to whittle your stash down a bit, do another project and enjoy shopping the sale all at once that way.
Rodney

ManiacQuilter2 12-24-2013 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6471943)
When I see a great fabric sale I try to find neutral backs. I have a lot of fabric in my stash but few pieces big enough for backing a quilt.

I agree with Tartan. But if you need a certain tonal, then it is better to get it on sale. Go thru your stash and if there is something you will NEVER use, then just let it go and pass it on to some charity group. Don't put yourself in jail, just be good at moderation !!

Nammie to 7 12-24-2013 11:36 AM

A quilt shop here is going out of business - stopped in there yesterday and bought 3 pieces of fabric at 50% off--they really didn't have anything I was interested in. Got it washed, ruler-folded and put away already. After organizing my fabric I found 28 pieces large enough for backings so I'm set there too!