Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   tube quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tube-quilt-t272805.html)

newbee3 11-29-2015 06:20 PM

tube quilt

I made this tube quilt pieced it and I did not make sure the seams were going right and did not press well enough either so when I am quilting it on the long arm I am getting some fabric puckering. I am using a pantograph so cannot keep a eye on the top of the quilt. I do not think it would of made a difference anyway it was just do to poor assembly also the borders were wavy. Just way too much fabric on the bias so hopefully I have learned something from this quilt and never to repeat it again.

Has anyone else had a similar experience???

PaperPrincess 11-29-2015 07:27 PM

When you are done, you will have a great picnic quilt!
I am not a fan of bias edges. If I have to cut something on the bias I starch heavily. I have quilted one quilt where most of the blocks had excess fabric. I didn't use a panto, I did each block separately. I used cans on either side of the machine head to add tension and a puffy batting and was able to make the final product lay reasonably flat.

GrammieJan 11-29-2015 07:59 PM

Excuse me, please, but what is a panto?

Cheshirecatquilter 11-29-2015 08:18 PM

Dear Newbee3, if a day goes by that you haven't learned something, you've wasted your time. So, looks like your time was well spent after all, and who says a slightly wrinkly, wavy quilt can't be loved? There's a lot of them out there for sure.

Tiggersmom 11-29-2015 08:22 PM

Panto is short for pantograph........a edge to edge design on a quilt that can range from about 2" to 12".

ruby2shoes 11-30-2015 02:26 AM

and what's a tube quilt?

ManiacQuilter2 11-30-2015 06:14 AM

With many Bargello patterns, they will tell you to sew the stripes into a tube. I can't cut straight without lining up my fabrics strips so I don't use the tube for anything. I think some of your seams may be off a bit but I wouldn't worry. I think doing a pantograph will work the best. Hope you will post a photo in the picture section when quilt is completed.

krafty14 11-30-2015 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ruby -
I have made "tube" quilts using 6 2.5" strips. You sew two groups of three together, then sew the two "stratas" right sides together. It sort of makes a "tube". You can then cut 90* triangles from the tube flipping the triangle up and down. When you are done, you can open the triangles into squares. They are only held together with 1 or 2 stitches at the point. It can make an interesting quilt. The blocks are not on point, just look that way. Hopefully you can see the black outline of a square in the picture. Ann

Yooper32 12-01-2015 05:06 AM

I'm lost, but that sure is a beautiful and color-striking quilt krafty14. I would never have dreamed of putting tangerine and black together like that, but oh, what a beauty it is.

maviskw 12-01-2015 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7390390)
With many Bargello patterns, they will tell you to sew the stripes into a tube. I can't cut straight without lining up my fabrics strips so I don't use the tube for anything. I think some of your seams may be off a bit but I wouldn't worry. I think doing a pantograph will work the best. Hope you will post a photo in the picture section when quilt is completed.

After I have all my strips sewn together and sewn into a tube, I then fold everything so that the cut edge will be shorter. Then, after pinning well, I make a line of sewing right down the middle with the longest stitches my machine will make. Then I can cut the strips without worrying about whether or not they will stay straight.