Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tumbling my Tumblers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tumbling-my-tumblers-t299904.html)

Watson 09-30-2018 10:33 AM

Tumbling my Tumblers

I used my GO! to make enough Tumblers for a queen sized quilt. I used scraps but there were still more than one tumbler out of some fabrics. I was trying everything to mix them up, so I could just grab them out of the bag as I went along without the likelihood of grabbing two the same when I thought....

Hey! Why don't I really tumble them? Into the dryer they went for 20 minutes with no heat and they are now all mixed up and ready to go.

Watson

Krisb 09-30-2018 10:37 AM

A very smart solution!

Iceblossom 09-30-2018 10:59 AM

Good solution! I did a crazy quilt out of "ugly" ties from the 70s. Once I had them gutted and washed I put them in a black plastic garbage bag, shook it out some more and pulled 10 out with my eyes closed and put them into brown paper lunch bags. Then I had to use all 10 (and only those 10) in each crazy block.

It was good for me, I came out of the exercise really feeling free. I'm usually a bit too organized for someone who works in mostly scraps and charms.

One thing I've found over the past 20+ years is no matter how hard I try to keep fabrics away from each other, they always somehow end up right next to the one I was avoiding. LOL there might only be 4 orange pieces in an entire queen size quilt but somehow they are all within a foot of each other. I've learned to let it go and accept it and that no one else but me is likely to notice.

On my current project, a top made up of sailboats each unique along with different water, I laid out my blocks and was happy with them, I think I kept them in the correct order. At least I thought they were ordered when I put on block numbers (alpha goes across, numbers go down). Even though there were only 12 blocks now that the top is completely put together I put two of the red hulled boats right next to each other, and I'm not so happy about two of the water choices next to each other either. Oh well... the old me would have taken the top apart and switched some of the blocks around. The new me figures there's always next time!

Tartan 09-30-2018 11:22 AM

Good solution!

osewme 09-30-2018 11:23 AM

Great idea, Watson!

Boston1954 09-30-2018 12:12 PM

That's neat. They didn't get frayed at all? Can't wait to see how it turns out.

farmquilter 10-02-2018 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Watson (Post 8135556)
I used my GO! to make enough Tumblers for a queen sized quilt. I used scraps but there were still more than one tumbler out of some fabrics. I was trying everything to mix them up, so I could just grab them out of the bag as I went along without the likelihood of grabbing two the same when I thought....

Hey! Why don't I really tumble them? Into the dryer they went for 20 minutes with no heat and they are now all mixed up and ready to go.

Watson

That is a good hint , as I am now cutting all 3 sizes of the tumbler shapes. While cutting, I had been wondering how to get them mixed up enough and not have to sort each piece.

Boston1954 asked if you had any fraying, am really interested in that also.

JanieH 10-02-2018 06:00 AM

I really like your idea - I can get anal about things like this and I love the suggestions for freeing up the fabric choices and myself.

SusieQOH 10-02-2018 06:20 AM

Watson, your idea made me chuckle but it's a good one! :)

Watson 10-02-2018 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did have some fraying on some but not enough to worry about in my opinion. I think because it was cut so precisely with the GO it likely cut down on the fraying.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]601990[/ATTACH]

Watson