Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Turned vs Raw Edge Applique (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/turned-vs-raw-edge-applique-t300174.html)

bkay 10-16-2018 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom (Post 8142522)
Applique or handwork in general is not one of my better skills and I use the inside out method. I sew the interface to the top side of the fabric using tiny stitches. :p

Thanks, Iceblossom. I tried the inside out method and it worked fairly well for my first attempt at applique. My 5 pointed stars were OK, not good. Now I see how they could be improved - "tiny stitches". That would keep the edges and points crisper.

Somehow, that never occurred to me.

bkay

Kwiltr 10-16-2018 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo (Post 8144058)
I was blessed to take an applique class from Pat Campbell many years ago. I learned to make tiny stitches so that my applique floats on the surface and no stitches show. I love looke at the pillows on my sofa using her method of applique.

That would have been awesome. Her work is beautiful.

Iceblossom 10-16-2018 07:36 AM

Tiny little stitches with a thinner needle than I generally use for piecing. Trimming is also really important, clip down to the seam line at sharp angles.

You also need a couple of handy "tools" that can be knitting needles or those orange sticks for manicures to help turn the seams and keep the points or curves or whatever crisp. You want something that you can maneuver around but not too sharp so you go through the seams. Nice thing with the flip over technique is you can cut the slit really big/side to side even and get in there for the proper shapes.

My friend that I learned from was a big believer in silk thread for hand stitching down the sides and she used an Ott light both for good color match and to help her see. With my vision issues I find the Ott light necessary for my hand stitching of bindings which is about all I do in terms of handwork, I use a big needle and don't think I could even thread one of her hand stitching needles, probably can't even see a single thickness of that thread any more for that matter!

I had another friend who used to make simply glorious appliqued wall art using the mono-filament clear thread and the smallest zigzag her machine had. At least back then that didn't wash well and didn't iron at all (melts!), but I was in awe of her abilities.

Kwiltr 10-16-2018 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom (Post 8144145)

I had another friend who used to make simply glorious appliqued wall art using the mono-filament clear thread and the smallest zigzag her machine had. At least back then that didn't wash well and didn't iron at all (melts!), but I was in awe of her abilities.

I’ve Appliqued with Superior monopoly by machine and a tiny blanket stitch which worked really well. I used the “smoke” colour on darker fabric and it’s nearly invisible. The monopoly is very fine and doesn’t melt as it is polyester, not nylon.

Jane Quilter 10-16-2018 11:34 AM

I am just starting to try the freezer paper turn under method for a new BOM. I sure needed a lot of new tools for the job, but I am having a lot of fun learning.

hobbykat1955 10-16-2018 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by ArlaJo (Post 8142444)
Ok I cheat sometimes. I take a light interfacing and sew to the applique piece and then turn inside out and carefully press so as not to have the interfacing show. If its a large piece I cut the middle out of the interfacing and then place the piece and use a blanket stitch to sew it down. No turning (which I'm not good at!) and no fraying.

ME TOO! or I use wonder under and blanket stitch

TeresaA 10-18-2018 02:25 PM

Those who do the inside out method, which interfacing do you use?

madamekelly 10-18-2018 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by TeresaA (Post 8145510)
Those who do the inside out method, which interfacing do you use?

I use light weight, non-woven, iron on interfacing. I sew bumpy side to proper side of my fabric. I iron it in place, stitch it down, then cut away all but 1/4” from the back so it stays soft for use.

sprice 10-19-2018 05:30 AM

I've done a couple projects where I pinked the edges and used a straight stitch not right on the edge to apply. Sure it will fray but I liked the casual look of the whole project.