Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Turning curtains into a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/turning-curtains-into-quilt-t289182.html)

Mitch's mom 06-23-2017 08:24 AM

Turning curtains into a quilt?

I have been gifted a pair of very expensive custom curtains. They are practically brand new but they are also 14 foot long if they are an inch! The backing is 100% cotton sateen and the inner lining is 100% heavy cotton flannel. The curtain fabric is a beige polyester moire satin. One panel is wide enough to cover my queen size bed with a 15 inch + drop on each side of the bed. Of course given the length I will have plenty of fabric for the pillow tuck at the top. My questions are: would a long arm quilter be able to quilt it into a whole cloth type quilt for me, and would you replace the flannel with quilt batting?

I will still have the other panel to harvest fabric from to make a bed skirt. I am going to save the sateen from it for quilt backings. As for the flannel inner lining, I am thinking of turning it into receiving blankets for the local women's shelter.

Quilter 53 06-23-2017 08:57 AM

I'm not a LA quilter, but I think it could be done. If the curtain panel has a seam straight down the length, that might be an issue. I like the sateen for backings and the flannel for baby blankets ideas. In this house, since I make costumes as much as I quilt, with fabric like that, I'd be making hooded cloaks. LOL

Faintly Artistic 06-23-2017 09:13 AM

I'm not a long armer, either. But it sounds like the kind of thing I do all the time! I guess you could take it to someone who does LA, or your LQS and ask.

jokir44 06-23-2017 07:45 PM

No, no. You are supposed to make a fancy gown with curtains aka Gone With The Wind. ;)

MadQuilter 06-23-2017 08:31 PM

Jokir44, with the curtain rod still attached a la Carole Burnett, lol.

When I first read your description, I immediately thought of a whole cloth. Not sure about the long arm work but it should be do-able.

Gay 06-23-2017 11:52 PM

Yes, it can be done, as I've done it myself, and it will be beautiful. My only thoughts would be the weight, and whether the fabric has sun-block on the back, if so I would not use it for a quilt.

quilterpurpledog 06-24-2017 03:44 AM

Several years ago I had a home based business. I made window treatments. The most important concept was matching draperies and bed cover. I made the draperies and sent matching fabric out to be quilted into the bed cover. Always beautiful. So, a longarm quilter could do this as a wholecloth project. I would recommend using batting rather than the flannel because you will want loft. Please show us your project when you finish it.

Mitch's mom 06-24-2017 04:16 AM

Thank you, Ladies! I am not planning heavy quilting, just a pretty pantograph will suffice. I hadn't thought about the loft of the batting. I will use it instead of the flannel, it will make it lighter too - that flannel is heavy! I will post before and after pictures. There is so much fabric I need to get it taken care of soon, this is one UFO I don't want laying around!

Mitch's mom 06-24-2017 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Gay (Post 7850529)
Yes, it can be done, as I've done it myself, and it will be beautiful. My only thoughts would be the weight, and whether the fabric has sun-block on the back, if so I would not use it for a quilt.

If you are thinking the foam backing , no. it is just regular fabric.

just janet 06-25-2017 04:48 AM

Can you make a valance type window treatment to match your bed quilt?