Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   turning my Grandmother's Tea Towels into a quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/turning-my-grandmothers-tea-towels-into-quilt-t222993.html)

StephT 06-04-2013 02:47 PM

turning my Grandmother's Tea Towels into a quilt

I am starting to feel a little guilty :o After reading several threads on how handmade gifts were not treasured and uses..:)

My grandmother made days of the week tea towels and I got a set when I was married the first time 20 years ago. I wanted to treasure this gift and put them in shadow boxes because they are a great memory of my grandmother. Well another marriage later and they are still sitting in my Ceder Chest. I think of them often. Although am I really treasuring them? My kids can not see them and ask about my grandmother. I can not even tell you what they look like. If I die..will my kids know where they came from? Nope..I have never talked about them. My kids will throw them out because I don't embroider, so I must not of done them.

So I want to sew them into a quilt to display. I know I can pull them out and use them..but I just can't bring my self to do that..HEHEHE

should I line each one with a white block? as they are thin and see threw?

LadyElisabeth 06-04-2013 03:32 PM

Yes, I would line them with white (or off white) cotton. What a special treasure. Make the qulit for yourself.

Suze9395 06-04-2013 03:49 PM

What a great idea!!
I have several from my grandmother as well. And she always did the hems with feather stitch. The ideas are flowing!
You know I also have several sets of pillow cases. They are all standard sized, which we don't use...but you have opened a window for me....thank you very much!

QuiltnNan 06-05-2013 05:28 AM

definitely put a liner on the back. i'd love to see them and see the progress you are making

mckwilter 06-05-2013 06:00 AM

This is a wonderful tribute to your grandmother. There are some lightweight fusible interfacings, both woven and non-woven that would work wonderfully and not make the fabric stiff. I look forward to seeing the quilt when it is done.

klgls 06-05-2013 06:14 AM

Wonderful idea!!

joyce blint 06-05-2013 08:45 AM

Just a thought....how many kids do you have and who will get this after you??
You might want to decide ahead of time.

Scissor Queen 06-05-2013 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by StephT (Post 6104121)
I am starting to feel a little guilty :o After reading several threads on how handmade gifts were not treasured and uses..:)

My grandmother made days of the week tea towels and I got a set when I was married the first time 20 years ago. I wanted to treasure this gift and put them in shadow boxes because they are a great memory of my grandmother. Well another marriage later and they are still sitting in my Ceder Chest. I think of them often. Although am I really treasuring them? My kids can not see them and ask about my grandmother. I can not even tell you what they look like. If I die..will my kids know where they came from? Nope..I have never talked about them. My kids will throw them out because I don't embroider, so I must not of done them.

So I want to sew them into a quilt to display. I know I can pull them out and use them..but I just can't bring my self to do that..HEHEHE

should I line each one with a white block? as they are thin and see threw?

There are lots of other things you could do with them. You could turn them into a valance. They would make neat mixer or toaster covers or something on that order. They would make great place mats. They could make really fun kids aprons.