Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   turning quilt inside out??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/turning-quilt-inside-out-t85384.html)

TN Donna 12-26-2010 11:43 PM

I haven't but my daughter told me she did and it worked great.

carolaug 12-27-2010 03:52 AM

I am just about finished on my husbands quilt I was all excited about doing this for his..he said Carolyn I want a binding....Arugh...I should have never told him and just did it. Oh will...I will do it in my next one that I am making which is the core quilt. I think it is going to be my worst quilt ever....its hard to line up the seams...I have never sewn curves before. Its a challenge...My seam ripper is handy. I gave up though when I sewed the long strips together.

ann clare 12-27-2010 04:35 AM

I do this for some of my baby quilts.

grann of 6 12-27-2010 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
I made a few table runners and did not want t bind them. I sew the batting on the wrong side then the two quilted fabric right side together and turned them inside out...then I machine quilted and did a fake binding by stitching around the edges. I was thinking this may work for doing baby quilts..hmmm...has anyone ever done that??

Yes, I've done some things that way, but I just don't like the finished product; too hard to get the seam pressed perfectly. And I find it is easier to see that you didn't sew a perfectly straight seam. I rather roll the backing to the front and do a fake binding that way.

quilt3311 12-27-2010 04:49 AM

Yes, it works for baby quilts. Use that method for all table runners, place mats etc.

Momma_K 12-27-2010 04:52 AM

I made a few table runners and did not want t bind them. I sew the batting on the wrong side then the two quilted fabric right side together and turned them inside out...then I machine quilted and did a fake binding by stitching around the edges. I was thinking this may work for doing baby quilts..hmmm...has anyone ever done that??

I just finished 2 twin sized sandwich quilts that way. I was so afraid it was going to be a pain but in fact it was a lot easier than I thought. So, if it worked on my twin sized I'm sure it'll work on your baby blankets. In fact about 20 years ago thats how I made my first grandsons blankets. Just remember or at least it was easier for me to sew with the batting on top. You can keep an eye on things a lot better and it won't get caught in the bottom feeds. Good Luck!

Miss Priss 12-27-2010 05:15 AM

I did a twin size snowball pattern for my great grand son and then I tied it. My grandmother did that most of the time.

hobbykat1955 12-27-2010 06:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
When I began quilting I didn't know how to do a binding so I did all my quilts this way and for a quick and easy quilt still do....I have done up to Queen size and I put 3 inch strips a faux border all the way around the top. When I turn inside out I then do stitch in ditch within the quilt design and then around the faux border....then just hand sew my opening at the base.

quiltmom04 12-27-2010 06:13 AM

I have done this, and I have more problem getting the seam on the edge to press flat, that I'd just as soon do a binding!

katlady 12-27-2010 06:17 AM

Yes & it works great. Do just like the table runners. It is a fast way of getting a small quilt done.