Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   turning tote/purse straps (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/turning-tote-purse-straps-t130529.html)

Stitchnripper 06-15-2011 05:19 AM

I use the fold and stitch method too. It is bulky but gives a nice result. My dinky Brother mechanical seems to sew through anything with no problems.

Rettie V. Grama 06-15-2011 05:41 AM

I never need to turn the straps for a tote bag. I cut the strip whatever length you want it, for a 2.5 inch strip, cut the strip 5 inches wide. Make a mock bias tape )fold in half, press then turn under raw edges, press then sew on raw edge side the length of the strip, the on the folded side of the strip, then sew down the middle of the strip. Always use a light weight fusible batting the length of the strip minus 1/2 inch. I also use this method for a braded handle. That takes 3 time as much fabric, but very pretty and seems to last longer. No need to use batting in this method.

SewExtremeSeams 06-15-2011 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by waladopa

Hey, that is a very clever idea! My DH could make something similar out of wood. Thanks! :-D

Charleen DiSante 06-15-2011 06:04 AM

Rettie V Grama:
Thanks for the tip on the braided handles lasting longer.

grandma anna 06-15-2011 06:16 AM

Diaper safety pin

Beebonnet 06-15-2011 06:44 AM

I use batting inside the straps, cut a little less than half the width. Press together down the center-right side up. Press 1/4 inch in on both sides or leave the selvage edge on one side and press the other side. Now bring the selvage edge over, then the other side lapped over that. Pin. Sew narrowly along each side of the strap and sometimes down the middle. The batting gives them firmness and softness all at the same time. I have never minded the look of stitched straps. So much easier.

ladybalcom 06-15-2011 06:56 AM

I do it this way and add a stiff batting strip before sewing

mariebaker 06-15-2011 09:01 AM

Stitch with small gauge cord inside, slightly longer than strip. baste stitch to one end, then pull through. Remove basting

thanks Alikat110-

what a great idea. :-D

Also, I've seen Eleanor Burns use a hemostat-

IBQLTN 06-15-2011 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
I fold the strip in half, press, open up, bring each raw edge to the crease mark, press, then fold in half then topstitch down both sides. I usually put a piece of webbing under the folded edges. I don't like turning a tube right side out. This method also has more layers making it stronger and wear longer.

Ditto for me except I don't usde the webbing. I place fusible batting inside.

Dottie Bug 06-15-2011 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
I fold the strip in half, press, open up, bring each raw edge to the crease mark, press, then fold in half then topstitch down both sides. I usually put a piece of webbing under the folded edges. I don't like turning a tube right side out. This method also has more layers making it stronger and wear longer.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: