Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   It turns out I really LIKE cutting fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/turns-out-i-really-like-cutting-fabric-t244235.html)

Sewnoma 03-31-2014 05:43 AM

It turns out I really LIKE cutting fabric

I have been "sort of" interested in the Go! and similar cutters, because I love gadgets and I don't have them yet.

But yesterday I was cutting fabric for a couple new quilts and I realized that I actually really enjoy the cutting stage (as long as I'm not making mistakes!). I enjoy figuring out the geometry of each block and how to cut the fabric in the least wasteful way. I think there is something therapeutic about putting neat little stacks of perfectly sliced fabric together, counting them all up, and ticking them off of my cutting list. I feel like I've accomplished something by converting raw yardage into all these neat little bits and pieces. I get excited watching the stacks grow, because after cutting comes laying out the quilt, and that's a really fun step too. That's when I actually get to see if my color choices are going to work, and get a feel for how the finished quilt is going to be.

Now if only I could find a way to enjoy basting quilts, I'd be totally set!

cabbagepatchkid 03-31-2014 05:59 AM

I enjoy the cutting process, too. I even enjoy cutting my small scraps into straight edged pieces to use for crumb quilts. I think it's because I get to touch and play with the fabrics. Sort of theraputic.

ManiacQuilter2 03-31-2014 06:24 AM

I use to enjoy going down to my former LQS and pin baste my quilts there. I would see friends stop by and it just made a tedious task more enjoyable being able to take breaks and look at all the new fabrics, patterns and notions. :)

luvstoquilt 03-31-2014 06:43 AM

I am a member of a local "Bee" called "Kalico Kwilters" and I am positive it is one of a kind. It is so much fun and there are usually about 30 or more ladies on Wednesdays. We have 4 quilts being hand quilted at all times and another nice thing is we put together the tops, batting and back and baste for any of us that want to quilt at home. It is so much fun and there is just one firm rule...no one can talk bad about anyone. What a wonderful and delightful place. No wonder Wednesday is probably my favorite day!!!

wolph33 03-31-2014 06:58 AM

I enjoy the cutting also.I just cut almost 100 yds of fabric into 5 inch and 2.5 inch strips for log cabins and who knows what else,maybe charms too

TeresaA 03-31-2014 07:06 AM

I don't have an Accucut or other die cutter, but I suspect that they can be really wasteful. If you're the type who likes to figure out how to minimize waste, you'll certainly be happier cutting the way you do it now.

I don't know the solution for basting because I like basting!

AngeliaNR 03-31-2014 07:11 AM

I, too, love cutting. Organization out of chaos. :)

I do glue basting, so I don't mind that, but the wrestling to create a quilt sandwich on a too-small surface, I could do without.

jcrow 03-31-2014 07:20 AM

I, too, love cutting the fabric for a quilt. I have quite a few quilts all cut out, waiting for me to finish them. Bad thing I found - one of the quilts I have all cut out doesn't have the pattern with it. Oh no!! It was in a magazine and I have a lot of magazines to go through to find it. It wasn't on the cover - no, that'd be too easy. But I am going to give it a shot and one day look through the table of contents in all my magazines that I organized. The other ton of mags that I didn't organize, I'm positive it's not in those. So, keep your pattern with your cut fabric!! See, I like cutting so much that I cut a few at a time. Good and bad for me.

tessagin 03-31-2014 07:25 AM

There are videos for basting on a small surface.

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR (Post 6653442)
I, too, love cutting. Organization out of chaos. :)

I do glue basting, so I don't mind that, but the wrestling to create a quilt sandwich on a too-small surface, I could do without.

maminstl 03-31-2014 07:49 AM

I like cutting too. I have two fold out tables that I set up side by side that I use for everything. Sandwiching, design, cutting. I can just fold them up and put 'em away when I need to. Of course, that all happens in the living room as I don't have the space in my sewing room. I pretty much take over the whole house. You have to be a special guest in order for me to clear the area.