Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Twelve Block of Month Blocks Finished (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/twelve-block-month-blocks-finished-t261688.html)

mcdor 02-23-2015 03:04 PM

Twelve Block of Month Blocks Finished

1 Attachment(s)
I joined a Block of the Month class organized by my LQS. I finished all 16 1/2 inch blocks. I would like your expert advise on how to bring this quilt to the next level. Thanks in advance.

marymm 02-23-2015 03:06 PM

Sorry, I can't help with ideas, but I wanted to say that I think the 16" blocks are a great idea for a block of the month program! I should add, yours show great use of color. Should be a great quilt!

djmat 02-23-2015 03:30 PM

Wonderful blocks, congrats! The possibilities are limitless for your finish. Choose something you like, draw it on paper to see how it will look, be prepared to change your mind several times. If you choose to applique between blocks introduce or audition the new fabric next to the blocks so you can see if they play well together before you commit to cutting. With those blocks you can use almost any pantograph for quilting. I'm more linear so I go with the block shape, but the best quilts I've seen vary the design to achieve 3-D affect. Sure would like to see a picture when you finish. I bet the back will be as interesting as the front!

wesing 02-23-2015 04:31 PM

My first thought was to set them on point and alternate with solid gold or the lightest pink plain squares. Use the Aqua for sashing and the brown or black as cornerstones. That will give you space for some fancy quilting and also allow you to make a bed sized quilt with your awesome blocks. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Darren

Grace creates 02-23-2015 04:36 PM

I like to set a sampler on point and put an alternate block for every other. You would be the expert picking the two colors to work with.

zozee 02-23-2015 07:04 PM

What a cool variety of blocks. You've done a nice job.

I'm certainly no expert, but I can picture teal frames around each one and black sashing.

k_jupiter 02-23-2015 07:15 PM

The problem with this type of Block of the Month is you wind up with a display of your quilting prowess (obviously very good in this case) but no unifying theme. I would make thin window frame sashing and use it to display all the techniques you learned. You will look at each of these blocks and remember what you went through to learn how to make it. Surround the quilt with a solid border so as to not detract from your work and put that sucker on a bed some place. tim in san jose

Feathers-N-Fur 02-23-2015 07:20 PM

If setting on point, I like to alternate with nine patches. Nice looking blocks :-)

twinkie 02-24-2015 04:03 AM

Very different blocks. I agree with the solid sashing. Good job.

ckcowl 02-24-2015 04:13 AM

Our LQS always offers a finishing class giving a variety of layouts, ideas for bringing your sampler all together. I would check with them to see what options/ ideas they recommend