Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Twelve foot table runner - how to quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/twelve-foot-table-runner-how-quilt-t260329.html)

Trisher 01-26-2015 02:13 PM

Twelve foot table runner - how to quilt?

1 Attachment(s)
I have been requested to make a 12 foot table runner for a friend's Bed and Breakfast island to protect the top of the island.

She didn't want it pieced, so it is a 12 foot x WOF continuous piece. It will end up being reversible.

So I have it all basted and I am ready to quilt it.

I thought I would section it - and do FMQ sampler style in each section. Maybe divide each section with straight line quilting or a bit of cross hatching for some continuity.

What would YOU do if you were me? I have attached a picture of the robins egg blue front and the red and white back - she picked out the fabric.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]507757[/ATTACH]

Tartan 01-26-2015 02:21 PM

I would take a look at Angela Walters site. She sections off the background of a quilt and does a design in each section.

chris_quilts 01-26-2015 02:54 PM

I think either your idea about the sections is good or look at the site that Tartan suggested. That is a long table runner.

pw6 01-26-2015 03:14 PM

I made one that was 56" by 132" and I quilted it close in a stiffle or meandering style that way it is not unlevel for glassware.. good luck it is very pretty design

QuiltnNan 01-26-2015 03:30 PM

i like your idea of the sampler... maybe make 'blocks' of sampler quilting and use the same background quilting for the 'sashing'. would love to see it when you are done.

juneayerza 01-26-2015 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by pw6 (Post 7065019)
I made one that was 56" by 132" and I quilted it close in a stiffle or meandering style that way it is not unlevel for glassware.. good luck it is very pretty design

I agree with pw6. If she is going to place dishes and glassware on it, you need to make sure things are not going to tip over.

Leslie333 01-26-2015 06:09 PM

I agree with keeping the quilting close so that is it stable for items placed on it. If she didn't want it pieced I wonder how she would feel about the quilting varying by section. I think I'd be inclined to ask about it being consistent throughout, or having some variety along the way, before doing the work.

Geri B 01-27-2015 05:15 AM

I've done this for my kitchen bar....I just used thermolane for batting(very thin) and sewed two fabs and batt, birthed it, sewed 1/4"around all edges, then just bartacked at intervals in the body of runner.......easy peasy.......wash fabric first....so there is no shrinkage...I wash, throw into dryer, take out warm, smooth over fab, fold and ready to go.....quick and colorful. Even did one for dining room tablerunner one year for Easter...some cute holiday fabs......

Geri B 01-27-2015 05:20 AM

Wait..you said 12 foot x WOF........ 12 feet long by 45" wide..that's a banquet sized tablecloth!

Trisher 01-27-2015 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7065637)
Wait..you said 12 foot x WOF........ 12 feet long by 45" wide..that's a banquet sized tablecloth!

Yup...

She didn't want it pieced to save me the trouble (and her the cost)! I think it is mainly for large gatherings (as well as a B&B it is a retreat centre) when she puts out hot dishes. I will have to ask her about putting stemware on it. If she is going to, I will quilt it densely for stability.

Thanks for all the input folks!