Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Twin Needle sewing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/twin-needle-sewing-t247683.html)

Quilty-Louise 05-31-2014 11:19 AM

Twin Needle sewing

Have any of you wonderful quilters done any twin needle sewing?

I am working on some aprons this is know new batch of different
fabrics (not bird related except for 2 will be bird). and I decided to
try out a twin needle stitching.

The jury is still out on how I like it, I might like it more if I am not
doing 90degree corners. We shall see.

Thinking I might like the needle more on small projects like mug rugs
place mats etc... not sure though.

Any tips for improving on the technique?

Tartan 05-31-2014 11:55 AM

​I tried the twin needles for quilting but I didn't like how the bobbin thread looks on the back. As long as it is a surface feature, I like it. I use my needle down function for top stitching and turning corners. I carefully put up the foot to go around the corner and start the new line of stitching overlapping the corner.

ManiacQuilter2 05-31-2014 02:25 PM

I tried it too and didn't like the bobbin thread looked on the back. I think that Tartan has a Bernina as I do. Your DSM might be different. Test it out and see what you think.

ckcowl 05-31-2014 02:29 PM

I've used double needle sewing when doing stained glass applique-it works great stitching down the bias*leading*.I've also used them for some tote bag construction-once you get the hang of double needle sewing you find lots of times it comes in handy.

franc36 05-31-2014 02:37 PM

I have done lots of twin needle stitching. Most of it was in heirloom sewing. When my granddaughter was younger, I made her dozens of cotton knit shirts each year. I did most of that sewing on my serger; but I did not enjoy converting the serger to the cover stitch for hemming the shirts so I used my Bernina with a wide twin needle. I once took a class in which we learned how to turn corners with a twin needle. Although I enjoy using a twin needle in garment sewing, I cannot see myself using a twin needle in quilting.

CarolinePaj 05-31-2014 02:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made this using twin needles to stitch down the bias binding. I loved the way it came out, although I wold do different colours next time (this was a practice run really)!

CanoePam 06-01-2014 06:08 AM

Caroline: I love your quilt! Great use of double needles.

Pam

ann31039 06-01-2014 04:28 PM

I used the monofilament to topstitch some bias for celtic knots. It worked great with the twin needle, though I did figure out not to ever use monofilament in the bobbin. I don't think I would use a twin needle for the quilting though. The back just doesn't look good.

Pam B 06-01-2014 05:07 PM

I have done twin needle however I always use either fusible fleece or some other sort of stabilizer under my fabric.

Quilty-Louise 06-01-2014 06:17 PM

Thanks everyone for all your tips on using the twin needle.