Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Twin needle (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/twin-needle-t278810.html)

Littledreamdevil 05-19-2016 08:09 PM

Twin needle

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if someone knew the answer to this question.
I have goggle, searched sewing sites ect. I can not find anything on this subject.
My question is.
Does anyone know a way to refill or an adapter to turn regular sewing machine needles into twin needles ( am I making sense?)

My reason for asking is.

I let the little girl across the street from me come and sew at my house.
She likes to get away from her younger siblings. I have her a sewing machine
set up at my house. She likes to applique and embroidery with twin needles.
The problem is she brakes one everyday. It is costing me a lot just to keep
her in twin needles. She gets to sewing to fast and that is when the needle
brakes.
So does anyone know a way to refill or an adapter to turn regular sewing machine needles into twin needles.

Thank you for your time, And yes I do tell her to slow down and the setting on the machine is right.
thank you.

Peckish 05-19-2016 08:49 PM

I think I would make it worth her while to slow down. If she's old enough to use a sewing machine, she's old enough to learn how to use it responsibly. Either she can start doing things to earn money to pay for the new needles, or once the needle breaks, she can't sew for a couple of weeks because you have to wait for payday (or some similar logic) to buy a new needle.

I think it's sweet that she's sewing with you, but I don't think it's fair that you bear the cost of her recklessness.

quiltingshorttimer 05-19-2016 08:55 PM

Nope--only twin needle I've ever seen is the expensive manufactured ones. Think I'd introduce her to a new technique--maybe a decorative stitch?

QuiltnLady1 05-19-2016 09:13 PM

Nope, only know to buy the twin needles. Someone on this board said that when she teaches kids she puts a pink eraser between the flap and the box of the peddle to slow them down. Would that work for you?

Jennifer23 05-19-2016 09:20 PM

I'm pretty sure no adapter exists - it would make the needles too long, so it just wouldn't work.

Would you consider getting a vintage machine just for her? I learned to sew on a Singer 328, and instead of a twin needle, it took two needles side-by-side. I know there were a couple other Singers from the 50's - 60's that worked this way. This would also save your machine from the beating it's taking with all those broken needles.

Jane Quilter 05-19-2016 09:34 PM

I agree with quiltnlady to slow it down with a fake brake like the pink eraser idea, next go with Peckish and face the consequences.

Weezy Rider 05-20-2016 03:44 AM

If you are using an newer machine with fancy stitches, there is usually a "Twin Needle" setting. It limits the swing of the twin needle to 4mm.

I have a Pfaff with it, and have seen other machines with it - but only the ones that have decorative stitches that can be resized.

quilterpurpledog 05-20-2016 04:02 AM

Perhaps I see why she wants to get away from her siblings. Since you are the teacher you should be the one to set the rules and tone of the learning session. Saying 'no' is the beginning. If she will not use your equipment properly or listen to instruction you should say 'no'. If she has no allowance to buy her own twin needle, perhaps you can give her chores at your house to earn the money for one. She needs to know the cost. She also needs to know the consequences of not following instructions. This girl seems to need encouragement and you can be that person if you do not allow her to run wild in your sewing room.

ManiacQuilter2 05-20-2016 04:07 AM

Have you taken the machine in for servicing? This might be a perfect time to ask the technician if there is something physical causing the breakage. You might see if there is a slower speed on the machine. They are just manufactured that way. I agree with Peckish:

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 7554351)
I think I would make it worth her while to slow down. If she's old enough to use a sewing machine, she's old enough to learn how to use it responsibly. Either she can start doing things to earn money to pay for the new needles, or once the needle breaks, she can't sew for a couple of weeks because you have to wait for payday (or some similar logic) to buy a new needle. I think it's sweet that she's sewing with you, but I don't think it's fair that you bear the cost of her recklessness.

Maggie_Sue 05-20-2016 06:03 AM

Littledreamdevil, you are a wonderful neighbor and mentor. I do agree helping her to be more responsible would be a valuable life lesson. Continue to help her become a wonderful quilter!!!! I applaud you!!!