Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Twist n Turn Bargello Fabric Help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/twist-n-turn-bargello-fabric-help-t118261.html)

Leann 04-23-2011 05:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Just a few comments ...

I viewed the pictures with my red and blue color value viewers.

Move #18 to between 15 & 16.
Move #5 to between 9 & 10.

All other values look correct where they are.

Last comment though is about #1 & #19. While I love the fabric and the colors do blend a lot, note that the variance is pretty drastic between the light and dark and the patches of color are large - probably larger than most of the finished size bargello squares. The result will be some that are totally light, some that are totally dark, and some will have both. I'm guessing your slips of paper are 1.5 x 1 (or thereabouts). What is the smallest size strip you will cut? If 1" or less, your going to have different colors in the same "place" on your bargello.

If however your set on the penguins you might overcome the black/white issue by restructuring the "orange/yellow" blends so that the penguins have dark fabric on one side and light fabric on the other. So the top 1/2 (orange/yellow stream) would be 15, 18, 19, 17, 16, 14, 13, 12, 11. The color flow is now light to dark then back to light - and the light and dark variance of the penguins will blend better in the stream.

Hope this helps - definately want to see the finished product! It's going to look like a sun set :)

I have been shuffling the order of these fabrics all evening.

Sue, the narrowest strip will be 1.5" and I have had the same thought you mentioned - won't the color/design be lost? Will my fabrics #1 & #15 be touching? I've read lots of posts discussing bargellos and knew that is something to watch for.

First photo is what I ended up with before reading Sues post - her photo is next.

Sue, is this what you meant? I may have enough Penguins to use for the backing if this won't flow.

Thanks for all the comments and for looking.

edited to add: I am short one fabric of the 20 req'd for this project.

my 2nd round
[ATTACH=CONFIG]188242[/ATTACH]

Sues recommendations
[ATTACH=CONFIG]188243[/ATTACH]

clynns 04-23-2011 05:55 PM

These colors look similar to the fabrics in my avatar. Nice choice.

DogHouseMom 04-24-2011 05:31 AM

>>Sue, the narrowest strip will be 1.5" and I have had the same thought you mentioned - won't the color/design be lost? Will my fabrics #1 & #15 be touching?

Narrowest strip is 1.5" finished or cut? What is the size of the largest bargello stip, and what is the size of the number place markers you have? that will help determine how much of the Penguins you'll actuall "see".

Yes they will be touching. Think of it as looking at a color "wheel" - not a "strip".

ha ha ... this is why I look at my color "wheel" sometimes for days before I make a single cut. I also like to look at it in different light.

I'm not liking #19 at all anymore - I still think there is too much variation and it's difficult to find the right place for it based both on color and value.

I also think the penguins WILL work as a nice transition fabric from light to dark! Add a light peachy/yellow, then a very pale yellow to the left end of your "orange" run after removing #19 (so 16, 17, 18, 15, new peach/yellow, new pale yellow). The pale yellow will assist with light transition. your penguins will be a mixed bag - but that's OK because it will match to the color/value on each end of the spectrum on either side. Am I making myself clear?

And I was wrong about #5 - it doesn't belong between 9 & 10. I'm not sure where, not in it's original position though. Perhaps between 6 & 7? Play with that one a bit and look at it in different lights. The fabric will work - just need to get it in the right slot for both color and value.

Try that - and stick with it. This one is going to be gorgeous! I see a sunset coming!!!

EagarBeez 04-24-2011 06:52 AM

Beautiful fabrics, they will make a beautiful bargello quilt

Leann 04-24-2011 12:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)

>>Sue, the narrowest strip will be 1.5" and I have had the same thought you mentioned - won't the color/design be lost? Will my fabrics #1 & #15 be touching?

Narrowest strip is 1.5" finished or cut? What is the size of the largest bargello stip, and what is the size of the number place markers you have? that will help determine how much of the Penguins you'll actuall "see".

Yes they will be touching. Think of it as looking at a color "wheel" - not a "strip".

ha ha ... this is why I look at my color "wheel" sometimes for days before I make a single cut. I also like to look at it in different light.

I'm not liking #19 at all anymore - I still think there is too much variation and it's difficult to find the right place for it based both on color and value.

I also think the penguins WILL work as a nice transition fabric from light to dark! Add a light peachy/yellow, then a very pale yellow to the left end of your "orange" run after removing #19 (so 16, 17, 18, 15, new peach/yellow, new pale yellow). The pale yellow will assist with light transition. your penguins will be a mixed bag - but that's OK because it will match to the color/value on each end of the spectrum on either side. Am I making myself clear?

And I was wrong about #5 - it doesn't belong between 9 & 10. I'm not sure where, not in it's original position though. Perhaps between 6 & 7? Play with that one a bit and look at it in different lights. The fabric will work - just need to get it in the right slot for both color and value.

Try that - and stick with it. This one is going to be gorgeous! I see a sunset coming!!!

Sue, 1.5# is cut strip size, largest will be 3" with 39 rows. I may add more strips and/or cut my strata strips 3" instead of 2.5" to make it larger.

As suggested, I have pulled fabric 19 and shuffled the darks in a manner I think I like. I won't know about the oranges until I get a lite peach, but I think I am liking this as well. This photo is taken near a window with mid-day sun. What do you think?

I plan to get my last fabric, plus more of #10 on Monday and I will post another photo.

I am antsy to move on!

twixbar 04-24-2011 01:17 PM

Gorgeous fabrics.

DogHouseMom 04-24-2011 03:45 PM

Getting sooooo close ... the light peach should be a darker value than the light yellow. Can you get either a darker peach, or a lighter yellow? or both?

Normally I would have said the penguins wouldn't work in a bargello - but I'm getting excited to see how their going to blend with the dark/light.

Leann 04-27-2011 03:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are my final choices. Fabs 19 & 20 are new.

Your thoughts? Thanks a million!

matching the penguins
[ATTACH=CONFIG]190036[/ATTACH]

DogHouseMom 04-27-2011 03:54 PM

The selection is perfect - the peach and light yellow are great and I can't wait to see how they're going to look to blend the penguins.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the arrangement of the purples. I think the choices are fine, just need to play with the arrangement a bit. What is throwing me off is that both value and color have to be balanced. Some of the purples lean toward the red scale, some lean toward the blue scale and if you put them together according to color you lose the value scale. If you arrange them by value, you lose the color scale. This is one instance where a green viewer is helpful as neither red or blue are going to cut it for me.

See if you can find or make a green viewer - an empty wine bottle will suffice. If you need help emptying the wine bottle give me a call :)

Leann 04-28-2011 02:55 AM

See if you can find or make a green viewer - an empty wine bottle will suffice. If you need help emptying the wine bottle give me a call :)

You are hysterical! Today I will wash my new fabrics and play with my darks. I hope to start cutting this week!

Thanks for all your help. Definitely wanna open the wine to celebrate its completion!