Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Twisted Seam Allowances, Fix, or Leave? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/twisted-seam-allowances-fix-leave-t312372.html)

tropit 09-06-2020 08:07 AM

Twisted Seam Allowances, Fix, or Leave?

Unless you're a quilter that does all open seams, you've probably come across more than one twisted seam allowance, where at one end of the seam the allowance faces one direction and the other end of the seam it faces the other direction. Usually, I take a few stitches out of one seam and flop that allowance over to the correct side, then restitch the seam. But sometimes it's just too complicated to do that. I may worry about a point that might get damaged, or the seams are just so short and tedious to fix, or maybe it just won't matter much after it's quilted, etc. What do you do?

Homespun 09-06-2020 08:10 AM

I leave mine...my quilts are not for show. I make quilts for people to use, and after bound, no one can see it!

Onebyone 09-06-2020 08:34 AM

Many quilt classes I have taken with quilt famous instructors have said flip the turned seam a few inches away from the turn and press. No one is the wiser and you won't weaken the seam by snipping as many like to clip. I would never spend time unsewing and re sewing a flipped seam unless it made a big difference. So far I've never found the big difference.

Tartan 09-06-2020 09:14 AM

I hate twisted seams as the quilt top will not lay as flat as I want for machine quilting. If they don’t bother you or cause your machine quilting to mess up, it’s just personal preference.

joe'smom 09-06-2020 09:16 AM

I'll fix twisted seams that weren't intended, yet I often have to purposely twist a seam in order to get things to nest. It's kind of silly when I think about it..

MicheleC 09-06-2020 09:23 AM

I clip them as Onebyone suggested. It does not require ripping and like Jenny Doan says, no one is going to look inside your quilt. ☺️

cjsews 09-06-2020 09:23 AM

I leave mine unless it shows thru the front. But, actually when you put batting behind it you don’t usually see any of the seams. Also they sink into the batting so bulk is not an issue in most cases. I have seen the backs of quilt tops that teachers show at classes and they also have twisted seams. It happens to all of us

SusieQOH 09-06-2020 09:24 AM

I usually leave them. And yes, I almost always have some!~

Barb in Louisiana 09-06-2020 09:26 AM

I don't worry about it unless it creates too much bulk or shows. I quilt on a longarm, and you cannot tell the seams that were flipped and those that weren't. Now, if I was making a show quilt, I might change my mind. Never would I clip into a seam to adjust it.
Edited to add: I should have NEVER said never. There is always that possibility .

Rhonda K 09-06-2020 09:38 AM

I like seams to nest as much as possible. Then I twirl the corners so the intersection lays flatter.

I will also twist seams if needed and iron them in place.