Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which of two Janomes is best for me? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/two-janomes-best-me-t194966.html)

Binnyboops 07-17-2012 06:02 PM

Which of two Janomes is best for me?

I'd love the advice of more experienced sewists as I make my decision on which sewing machine to buy. I am a "serious hobby sewist" as my husband so aptly describes me and my old machine (a 30 year old Janome) is dying a slow death and is beyond repair. Like anyone, I want to get the right machine and future proof for the coming 20 years or so. I'm currently looking at a Janome MC5200 and probably like everyone else am tempted to stretch the budget so am also considering the Janome 6600P. Would the 6600P be too much of a machine for me? I mostly make crafts (bags, home accessories, aprons) and a few garments. My dream is to try quilting and because of this I want to be sure the machine I buy accomodates this. If I don't get the knack of quilting, will I have spent too much if I buy the 6600P? Your advice is warmly welcomed :)

tjradj 07-17-2012 07:06 PM

I'm a Janome fan. I have an older Janome QC6260, but upgraded to the Horizon7700 shortly after they came out. I LOVE the Horizon. I make bags, home dec, also, but quilting is what keeps me going. The extra space on the Horizon, the lighting, the walking foot built in, the oodles of stitches, the extension table, and especially the thread cutter make it so much fun. It's like when you get a car with power windows, locks, remote entry etc. When you go back, you really miss the "bells and whistles"..
I'd really look at your budget. If you can afford to "go big" on your machine, I would, because if you think you're going to increase the amount of sewing/quilting you're going to do, you don't want to "outgrow" your choice and have to buy another machine in the near future.
That's just my opinion. Others will differ. That's why you ask around, right?

debquilts2 07-17-2012 07:23 PM

I'd get the 6600 it looks like a nice machine with alot of nice features. It will be great for quilting.

DogHouseMom 07-17-2012 07:48 PM

I don't know much about the 5200, but I have the 6600 and there are a few features that I found to be invaluable for quilting.

One is the integrated walking foot. I thought I would only use it for SITD and binding, but I find I use it for most of my piecing - especially when piecing long strips and flannel. The reason is that with the dual feed you don't get "bowed" strips or "extra" material at the end of the strip because the top fabric didn't feed as even as the bottom fabric.

The other feature that I NEED for quilting is the needle up/down at the touch of a button. I can touch the button and every time I stop the machine the needle will stop in the down position. Almost essential when FMQ'ing.

If the 5200 doesn't have these two features I would spend the extra $$ on the 6600 because these features are worth it.

You might want to ask your dealer if they have a used 6600 for sale. If it is a good dealer that took a 6600 in from someone who upgraded to another machine - the dealer has given the machine a complete service, will usually offer a limited warranty, may offer a class or at least support, and you'll get the features you need for less $$ ... possibly even cheaper than the 5200.

Good luck!

teddysmom 07-18-2012 04:11 AM

My DD is looking to buy a machine to do her own quilting so these suggestions are ones I will pass on to her. Thanks!

ohstr 07-18-2012 04:21 AM

I have a 6600 and love it. This machine is wonderful for quilt making - but it is not limited to simply that. This is one fantastic machine.

luana 07-18-2012 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 5374026)
I don't know much about the 5200, but I have the 6600 and there are a few features that I found to be invaluable for quilting.

One is the integrated walking foot. I thought I would only use it for SITD and binding, but I find I use it for most of my piecing - especially when piecing long strips and flannel. The reason is that with the dual feed you don't get "bowed" strips or "extra" material at the end of the strip because the top fabric didn't feed as even as the bottom fabric.

The other feature that I NEED for quilting is the needle up/down at the touch of a button. I can touch the button and every time I stop the machine the needle will stop in the down position. Almost essential when FMQ'ing.

If the 5200 doesn't have these two features I would spend the extra $$ on the 6600 because these features are worth it.

You might want to ask your dealer if they have a used 6600 for sale. If it is a good dealer that took a 6600 in from someone who upgraded to another machine - the dealer has given the machine a complete service, will usually offer a limited warranty, may offer a class or at least support, and you'll get the features you need for less $$ ... possibly even cheaper than the 5200.

Good luck!

I agree with DogHouseMom and would add one more feature, the independent bobbin winder. I have upgraded from the 6600 to the Horizon and that is the one feature I miss the most. The 6600 is a fantastic machine.

WandaVA 07-18-2012 05:32 AM

I bought a 6600 just over a year ago--and I absolutely love it! I don't know much about the 5200 (which is retired), but one of my favorite features of the 6600 is the automatic thread cutter (which is not listed in the 5200 features). Two major pluses for the 6600 are the integrated walking foot and the larger harp, which really helps in quilting. If, on the other hand, you will be making a lot of clothing, you should consider that the 5200 has a free-arm, but the 6600 does not. Good luck, and you will be pleased with either machine!

jul12 07-18-2012 06:26 AM

You will probably want a free arm model for your garments/bags etc. which the 6600 doesn't have. But it is a superb machine, I have one which is used mainly for quilting.

threads57 07-18-2012 09:02 AM

I can only speak on the 6600. I have had my machine for 5 years now and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I have had several machines in the past but the 6600 is by far my favourite machine. I love the harp space, needle up-down, accu-feed, scissors. I have quilted queen size quilts on this machine and they were so easy to work on with the larger harp. This is one purchase you will never regret making.