Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Two less Quilt Stores soon (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/two-less-quilt-stores-soon-t112916.html)

LuvQuiltin 04-02-2011 10:27 AM

Just stopped at my favorite LQS to find them closed for 4 days. Rapped on the door and they let me in, a regular, who was clueless that they are going to be closing their store. They will start next thursday with sales and continue for 2 months and then she's gone. Another store upriver just sent out notices that they too are closing. I'm so very sad for them and for those who supported them..........where will we go now. We do have a Joanns, but it's not the same feel.......just not home.

Are others of you experiencing the same thing? I'm thinking because of the timing that these must be as a result of the huge price increase in textiles. Figure it's been a struggle and now would have to sell for much higher prices to make it. Higher fuel and food are causing many to cut back on hobby supplies too.

I'm very bummed..........

sueisallaboutquilts 04-02-2011 10:51 AM

I don't blame you for being bummed. I think online shopping has really put a dent in stores, not just quilt shops.

Marion Jean 04-02-2011 10:58 AM

We just lost one of two locals, but I understand another is scheduled to open up. I moved from upstate NY where we had so many quilt shops to choose from - I was spoiled.

Lori S 04-02-2011 11:56 AM

I think there has been more than a one .. two punch .. that has been delievered to the LQS. The first was a BAD economy... many just could not afford to purchase as they had in the past, the second punch came in the cost of cotton, making the few dollars left to spend able to purchase less yardage.
Now with shoppers/consumers having more and more access to the internet , to price shop ... its not a pretty picture.
If you want to make a quilt top and it takes 8 yards , will you spend the $$ on lower quality/price... or shop the internet quality and a price point.. or will you make a smaller quilt?!
Almost all the quilters I know have increased their internet spending for fabric in the last few years.

merry 04-02-2011 03:05 PM

On the other hand, I bought a Garden Song panel WH from a well respected catalog/on line co. Shortly thereafter walked into LQS who was selling panel + b/b for about half the price I paid. I learned to check with LQS before purchasing online. Sometimes shops can get items at lower cost.

fabric whisperer 04-02-2011 03:09 PM

we just had a favorite close here a couple weeks ago ~ sadly I called her 2 days after she closed! boohoo she had the most gorgeous batiks, and I needed some!

LoriEl 04-02-2011 03:11 PM

So sad to hear that.

wvhill22 04-02-2011 03:14 PM

i have had two close as well in the last few months. very sad

Lv2sew2011 04-02-2011 03:18 PM

Glad I'm only 6 miles from Hancocks, but the gas is outrages! $10.00 doesnt get you any where any more! and I drive a small Jeep liberty and it's very good on gas! But I hate paying the Gas Companies $3.47 gallon, just awful!

Mattee 04-02-2011 05:38 PM

One of my local shops closed a few months ago. I made out like a bandit on her going out of business sales. I always hate seeing a local shop close, but in this case, I think it had more to do with customer service, or a lack thereof, than any other issue. I never got a good vibe from the owner of the store, and I don't think she'd been in business too long.

Sorry to hear about your shops closing. I do shop a lot online to get good prices, but I try to patronize online shops that also have a brick and mortar shop.