Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   two for the price of one (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/two-price-one-t180369.html)

ArizonaKAT 02-23-2012 07:02 AM

two for the price of one

My friend from work just purchased a new home and I decided to make him and his wife a log cabin quilt for a house warming gift..

I needed purple and brown and wanted to do a classic red in the middle. I got lucky with the fabric. Found the colors I needed and at $1.50 a yard! So I bought enough to do the back also.

I read the directions and started to cut. . . started to sew . . . needed more material cut. I'm thinking I must of counted wrong originally.

I'm sewing . . . and sewing . . . What's taking me so long?

I finally finished the blocks last night and decided to iron them before going to bed.

I'm ironing. . . and ironing.

Yep, you probably already guessed. Instead of the 26 blocks I needed for a king quilt, I have 46 blocks, enough to make the king and a double.

I need to go back to math class.

mighty 02-23-2012 07:05 AM

Oops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GrannieAnnie 02-23-2012 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by ArizonaKAT (Post 5000611)
My friend from work just purchased a new home and I decided to make him and his wife a log cabin quilt for a house warming gift..

I needed purple and brown and wanted to do a classic red in the middle. I got lucky with the fabric. Found the colors I needed and at $1.50 a yard! So I bought enough to do the back also.

I read the directions and started to cut. . . started to sew . . . needed more material cut. I'm thinking I must of counted wrong originally.

I'm sewing . . . and sewing . . . What's taking me so long?

I finally finished the blocks last night and decided to iron them before going to bed.

I'm ironing. . . and ironing.

Yep, you probably already guessed. Instead of the 26 blocks I needed for a king quilt, I have 46 blocks, enough to make the king and a double.

I need to go back to math class.

just think of all the throw pillows you can make and at least one big across the top pillow cover.!

pls1946 02-23-2012 07:13 AM

Oh well at a $1.50 a yard, you need not feel back and extra quilt will be a bonus. You could add some extra borders and use the smaller amount for the backing.

dunster 02-23-2012 07:58 AM

Those must be really really big blocks if 26 will make a king quilt.

nhweaver 02-23-2012 08:01 AM

Math is the hardest part of quilting. But in the long run - it is better to have too much than too little!!! I have had to search frantically for more fabric when my "math" figuring was stingy.

QuiltnNan 02-23-2012 08:07 AM

LOL, i've done that as well. it's certainly better than not having enough :D

crafty pat 02-23-2012 09:22 AM

My first quilt many years ago was grandmas fan. I was having so much fun cutting and making fans I made a big box full. When I finished I still had a box full. To this day I still find fans in the bottom of my scraps and have to laugh at myself. What was I thinking?

nycquilter 02-23-2012 11:23 AM

make two quilts and donate the smaller one. double bang for the buck (or buck fifty)

LadyElisabeth 02-23-2012 11:42 AM

Just think, you have another whole set of blocks FINISHED