Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Two questions: about spray starch and about cordless irons (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/two-questions-about-spray-starch-about-cordless-irons-t304915.html)

suspendedglass 05-26-2019 03:20 PM

Two questions: about spray starch and about cordless irons

Hi,
I have noticed when I use spray starch it turns the bottom of my iron brown. Should I be spraying on one side and ironing on the back? Any insight into what I am doing wrong?

I also realized because of my set up, a cordless iron would be a great advantage.
I was wondering if those who use one have any recommendations as to which ones are great or not so great?

Thanks

stitch678 05-26-2019 03:44 PM

My opinion is that likely you spray too much starch on from too close. It's best to spray lightly, press, then , if you think you need it, repeat.Also consider changing brands ( l find Niagara works well.) Lastly, your iron may be way too hot...sometimes an older iron's thermostat fails to function properly.

suspendedglass 05-26-2019 04:03 PM

I am also in Ontario! Thanks for the suggestions. Will certainly consider those points. Thanks again

QuiltE 05-26-2019 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by suspendedglass (Post 8258177)
I am also in Ontario! Thanks for the suggestions. Will certainly consider those points. Thanks again

Another Ontarian jumping in here! :)

Starch ... I used to use it and abandoned it.
Starch does just what you have found. Watch your ironing board too.
Then ... someday, you may find a white fabric that looks dirty and guess what? Yup, the starch!

Instead .... I use Best Press. Most any of the LQS' sell it.
It does the job and I don't get the scorching issues.

Iron ... have never tried a cordless. I've heard mixed reviews.
When my iron needed replacing I went for an Oliso.
A bit pricey, but worth every bit, IMHO!

Good Luck!

pocoellie 05-26-2019 04:19 PM

This is how I was brought up on how to starch. When your iron gets all gunky, it's because when you’re ironing, instead of ironing the fabric, you were ironing the starch. I starch every piece of fabric(right side) I'm going to work with, at least 2 hours ahead of the time, throw it in a plastic bag, and let it sit, then I'll take it out, either line dry or throw in the dryer for a few minutes, then iron(wrong side), have never had a problem with the iron getting all gunky. I do spray mist with water since I don't use the steam on my iron.

illinois 05-27-2019 02:53 AM

My opinion is that most of us are an impatient lot and we spray and press to quickly. The starch needs time to soak "into" the fabric rather than "on" it. The gunk on the iron is essentially the starch sticking there instead of the fabric.

grma33 05-27-2019 02:57 AM

i have a very hot iron i put another piece of cotton over my block after starching saves cleaning the iron
Gale

juliea9967 05-27-2019 03:33 AM

I have had the Panasonic cordless iron for about 5 years now. I absolutely love the freedom of No Cord! I have no problems with it. I will never go back to an iron with a cord. Most of my ironing now is done for my quilting and sewing, and I have no complaints. My cordless iron is one of my best investments.

Dakota Rose 05-27-2019 05:46 AM

Love my Panasonic cordless iron.

MarionsQuilts 05-27-2019 05:53 AM

Your post answered my own question about starch - turns out I'm one of the impatient ones! Thanks for the question. On another note, I too have to Panasonic 360 cordless and I love mine. Won't use any other one.