Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Two Questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/two-questions-t12933.html)

b.zang 11-05-2008 08:22 PM

This intrigues me, using a seam ripper never seemed to happen in a certain way. But now that I think about it, my preference is to pick carefully between the two pieces. By carefully, I mean don't pull the thread or the fabric but gently cut the thread three or four stitches away from the opening then loosen to the cut and continue on. I find that this way I end up with one thread not cut making it easy to pull out one long thread. It also makes the thread obviously different from the fabric.

GailG 11-05-2008 11:27 PM

I've done Loretta's and Jannie's method. Both are equally simple.

Renee 11-06-2008 03:03 AM

Thanks everyone!!
Renee

nancee 11-06-2008 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jannie
Slide the seam ripper under a stitch & then again 3 or 4 stitches away. Keep doing this until the end. Then you pull the thread on the other side of the seam & you are ready to redo the seam the right way!! Hope this makes sense.

I do this, then gently open and carefully rip a stitch or two

mamatobugboo 11-06-2008 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Yea, you don't want to stretch or accidentally cut the fabric by pulling it apart real hard to clip the threads. I pick on side (usually the one I can see better) and snip every 4 threads or so. then turn over and pull on the thread you did not snip and it should pull right out. Use a piece of tape to collect all the little snippets of thread left in the fabrics.

this is how I use my seam ripper - except when I threaten my kids with it because they have interrupted me AGAIN :-)

Paganquilter 11-06-2008 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Renee
Oh my goodness you guys are too silly!! LOL

Let me be more specific.......Okay, I've sewn my two pieces together and realized I goofed. Do I use the seam ripper to pull the sewn line out on the outside of the fabric or do I open up my sewn pieces and use the seam ripper down the middle of the two? Does that make more sense?

Perhaps the easiest way to use the seam ripper is to pick one side of the fabric, and use the seam ripper to "nip" the thread every half-inch or so apart. Then on the other side, you can just give the uncut thread a little tug, and your seam comes apart without distorting the fabric. :)

Oklahoma Suzie 11-06-2008 09:06 AM

I have used both ways for the seam ripper. I do think I will look into getting the one from Clover. I do need a sharper one.

bebe 11-06-2008 09:31 AM

I love the clover seam ripper it works great :thumbup:
My favorite :D :D

nor'easter 11-06-2008 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just be glad seam rippers have evolved to what they are today. This is one of Singer's needle threader/seam ripper combo tools from the 50's. I used to use just a single edge razor blade...it goes pretty fast that way! :roll:

bearisgray 11-06-2008 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Oklahoma Suzie
I have used both ways for the seam ripper. I do think I will look into getting the one from Clover. I do need a sharper one.

They do get dull eventually. Using a new one is almost as much fun as using a brand new rotary blade! And in the same category of "Why didn't I change this ages ago?"