Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Two-sided fusible batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/two-sided-fusible-batting-t238729.html)

Cat18 01-13-2014 07:38 AM

Two-sided fusible batting

Has anyone tried it? Please tell us how you liked it.

Tartan 01-13-2014 08:17 AM

I like Hobbs 80/20 fusible batt. The hard part is finding a place big enough to iron a full sized quilt. I use my basement carpeted floor and strap on my knee pads. If you had a super big table, it would be easier.

Ripped on Scotch 01-13-2014 08:38 AM

I have used it but I try to only use it on table runners and smaller projects. I know that you can use it for the bigger quilts but I just find that i got a lot more puckering than I wanted.

Veronica 01-13-2014 08:43 AM

I've used it for both large and small quilts, I like working with it.
You just have to iron, no spray basting.

Cat18 01-13-2014 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6510319)
I like Hobbs 80/20 fusible batt. The hard part is finding a place big enough to iron a full sized quilt. I use my basement carpeted floor and strap on my knee pads. If you had a super big table, it would be easier.

I guess that would be where a ping pong table (a/k/a cutting table) comes in! lol

I feel like the Warm and Natural has gotten too thin. Am I imagining this?

Cat18 01-13-2014 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Ripped on Scotch (Post 6510364)
I have used it but I try to only use it on table runners and smaller projects. I know that you can use it for the bigger quilts but I just find that i got a lot more puckering than I wanted.

I thought the advantage of two-sided fusible is that it would lay flatter. Good to know.

Lori S 01-13-2014 08:59 AM

I tried it and did not care for it for large full size or bigger quilts. I had more success with spray basting, in eliminating puckers on the back.

Lori S 01-13-2014 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cat18 (Post 6510378)

I feel like the Warm and Natural has gotten too thin. Am I imagining this?

You are not alone.. I think it is thinner . Wish I had some from several years ago to compare.

carslo 01-13-2014 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6510319)

Look around for a ping pong table - they are the bomb for sandwiching quilts.

coopah 01-13-2014 05:21 PM

I just used the Hobbs 80/20 double sided fusible on a twin sized quilt. It was great until I realized that one fused side would puff/pucker if I kept quilting. So I stopped and separated the batting from the material, smoothed out the extra fabric, and then fused it again. It worked okay after that, but it wasn't as straightforward as I thought it would be. My next project is larger, so I'm not sure how I'll approach that. I have one more of the batts to use. Can't use spray basting and need to be careful with the Elmer's glue...it knocked my timing out once and just don't want to go back there.