Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Two-Sided Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/two-sided-quilt-t314074.html)

Jingle 01-31-2021 05:18 PM

I don't have a long arm and don't make anything outside of family and friends.

I think that is asking too much of anyone unless they are paying a lot of money for it.

mkc 01-31-2021 05:24 PM

I don't know any longarmer who would take that on. It is far too difficult to keep things lined up without the entire thing being carefully hand-basted beforehand.

Of course, if your friend wants to hand-baste the entire thing first, at no greater than 4" intervals in both X and Y, and leaves you enough backing to attach to your leaders that can be trimmed away (sounds like this doesn't exist), and you don't mind starting from the middle of the quilt top and working your way out, rolling back and forth, then charge appropriately for the extra labor and make her sign a "no guarantees" waiver.

I would also not custom-quilt this.

quiltingshorttimer 01-31-2021 05:39 PM

long armer weighing in--grab a magazine and with her watching, roll it up so the spine is the center--she will see that the pages do not stay all together---which is exactly what happens with two sided quilts on the long arm. Can you get it almost lined up? Sure, but the bottom quilt has to be larger so you have edges to clamp onto, which means that you can almost line it up--you attach the larger back and then add bat. Now you lay the top quilt down and while crawling around underneath, shift and pin the top quilt where it needs to be. If she gives you enough of a larger quilt on the bottom , you can get it mostly lined up. Baste it down and then quilt. Be sure that she understands that the design on the top is what happens on the bottom without any regard to what's on the back side. I've never understood why someone wants a two sided quilt--bed quilts and wall hangings are only seen on one side, lap quilts I like a nice minky or just a plain back. just me I guess. (BTW, if asked by a customer I insist the back has to be 8" extra top/bottom and 6 on each side for clamping and no guarantees!)

luvstoquilt 02-01-2021 07:15 AM

A LA quilter I know will not quilt any with a pieced back..says it is hard on the machine. Personally I am not a LA quilter.

greaterexp 02-01-2021 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by mindless (Post 8457212)
I did this for my sister. She wanted a twin size - memory quilt on one side, panel on the other.
She knew it was an experiment that might not work before I started. She also said it wouldn't be washed often. Also, I wanted to challenge myself. It sounded like fun to try.

I did it in 3 steps:

1-Layered the top (memory side) with batting and quilted that with no back. This was the more important of the sides to her.

2-Then layered the back (panel side) with another piece of batting and quilted that.

Both battings were very thin.

3-Then I centered them together and stitched in the ditch where possible, (around the borders mostly), then just tacked it together every where possible. It was pretty easy to load onto the longarm - done as if it was just one layer - not 3.

The 2 sides were much easier to manipulate after they were individually stitched together than I thought they would be, and it actually worked out pretty well.
Also, I thought it would be very heavy, but it wasn't really.

Of course, you could just say no..... :)

That's a brilliant way to do it! I'm just not sure I want to take that much time. Hopefully, she'll have tired of waiting on me and had it done by someone else!

juliasb 02-01-2021 12:28 PM

It is hard to tell some on no but when in doubt explain to her this is out of your skill level and you are afraid you would mess it up. You could even help her to find another LA'er that has this experience. There is nothing wrong is telling someone it is out of your skill set and then helping them find someone that is experienced in this.

Barb in Louisiana 02-01-2021 05:35 PM

Sometimes you just have to be honest and tell the truth. If she is no longer your friend after you say NO...then you haven't lost anything.