Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Two useful machine stitching patterns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/two-useful-machine-stitching-patterns-t292001.html)

bearisgray 10-20-2017 05:36 AM

Two useful machine stitching patterns

All of my machines are old(er) - there is a piece of paper with my "baby" saying it was sold in 1995.

So - my Berninas have an awesome serpentine stitch.

My Pfaffs (1471-1473-1475) do not.

None of them have a decent "blanket/applique/buttonhole" stitch.

Sigh.

Do you have "favorite/most used" programmed stitches on your machines?

There are a lot of "decorative" patterns that - as far as I'm concerned - they could have not bothered with.

But the two patterns (on the Pfaffs) that I most wish were there - are not!

If you have favorites, what are they?

QuiltnNan 10-20-2017 05:43 AM

my fav's are the serpentine stitch and the blanket stitch. i do like lots of the others, though.

Feathers-N-Fur 10-20-2017 05:45 AM

I am starting to really like the one step stitches on my Juki F600. Like the last quilt I quilted on it, I did STID at 7 inches, which was ok with my batting but just seemed to far apart. So I put a tiny heart in the middle of each grid. It works like it was tied. I never dreamed I would use those when I got the machine, but I’ve used them several times and am so happy I have them.

KalamaQuilts 10-20-2017 05:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If I'd had my brain on my head, I wouldn't have bought my Janome 8900... I only do patchwork now, didn't need any of those embroidery stitches. Sigh. But I used the Serpentine when I quilted my tumbler quilt and it was beautiful, I'll be using it again

Stitch #99 width at 9.0 stitch length at 2.50 with 40 weight thread

Irishrose2 10-20-2017 05:55 AM

My Elna doesn't have a blanket stitch, but I can get the effect by using one of hemming stitches and running the fabric through the machine with the bulk under the arm, so essentially using it backwards. That same machine has a perfect satin stitch.

Wanabee Quiltin 10-20-2017 06:10 AM

I have a Bernina Virtuoso 153 and a 155, a 1006 school model and an 803 or maybe an 830? I can’t find the serpentine stitch on the Virtuoso but the dealer says it’s there. I really wish I could find it. I used it on an old machine and liked it instead of sitd. I don’t use the other stitches anymore, but maybe I will on some of the small charity quilts I’ve lately made. I used to use a stitch that had a heart in it.

DJ 10-20-2017 06:36 AM

I have used the serpentine stitch and really like it. At a local seminar, the presenter touted what she calls the grass stitch on the Pfaff. It's similar to a satin stitch but has irregular widths in the zig-zags. Looks like a nice one I'm going to have to try out. I've used quite a few of my decorative stitches on things like baby quilts and bibs, etc.

QuiltnNan 10-20-2017 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur (Post 7928052)
I am starting to really like the one step stitches on my Juki F600. Like the last quilt I quilted on it, I did STID at 7 inches, which was ok with my batting but just seemed to far apart. So I put a tiny heart in the middle of each grid. It works like it was tied. I never dreamed I would use those when I got the machine, but I’ve used them several times and am so happy I have them.

i have the same machine and like this idea

EasyPeezy 10-20-2017 11:05 AM

I've used quite a few decorative stitches on borders and pot holders.
Serpentine comes in handy also. Don't really have a favourite because
I try to use a different stitch as much as possible and I still have 350
more stitches to explore. :)

Weezy Rider 10-20-2017 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 7928041)
All of my machines are old(er) - there is a piece of paper with my "baby" saying it was sold in 1995.

So - my Berninas have an awesome serpentine stitch.

My Pfaffs (1471-1473-1475) do not.

None of them have a decent "blanket/applique/buttonhole" stitch.

Sigh.

Do you have "favorite/most used" programmed stitches on your machines?

There are a lot of "decorative" patterns that - as far as I'm concerned - they could have not bothered with.

But the two patterns (on the Pfaffs) that I most wish were there - are not!

If you have favorites, what are they?

Since you have those Pfaffs - program your own. I cut one stitch apart and put both halves together for a serpentine, and you can also program in a blanket stitch.

I programmed in a serpentine on the 2144.