Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tying off threads. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tying-off-threads-t22078.html)

JudeWill 06-30-2009 07:45 AM

I have a question. I have always been meticulous (maybe obsessive is a better word) about tying off the threads on anything I make. Last year I was fortunate to acquire a Bernina 730. It has a knotting button and a button to cut the thread, but I can't quite trust them to really secure the threads. Most of the time I end up knotting them myself. So my question is: does anyone else feel this way, or do you just use these features and not worry about it?

b.zang 06-30-2009 08:02 AM

I use both those features on my machine and have never had a problem. I suggest if you're worried that you sew a short seam, end and cut, then test it.

amma 06-30-2009 10:48 AM

I have been backstitching on the quilts I am making for my kids and grands, as I know these are for every day use and will take a beating. I guess I am "old school" when it comes to making sure my seams stay sewn :oops: :roll: :lol:

Ninnie 06-30-2009 10:51 AM

I always back stitch if I know the quilt is going to be washed a lot. My machine doesn't have those features.

Lacelady 06-30-2009 11:07 AM

I have the 730, but don't use these features for quilting, though I do for other types of sewing (dressmaking, household, embroidery). I prefer to leave longer ends of threads and sew them into the quilt out of site. I start by bringing up the bobbin thread to the top, hold on to it and then start and finish my quilting with about 5 stitches very close together (but not on top of one another, which would look unsightly) I then do another couple of stitches slightly longer, and then another couple again a little bit longer then proceed with my usual preferred length. All of this happens within about 1 inch. At the other end, I reverse the proceedure. This way you don't have to do any back stitching, which always seems to show to me. I have stopped knotting the ends of my thread, before sewing them in, as the very close stitches hold well enough for me.

kluedesigns 06-30-2009 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I have the 730, but don't use these features for quilting, though I do for other types of sewing (dressmaking, household, embroidery). I prefer to leave longer ends of threads and sew them into the quilt out of site. I start by bringing up the bobbin thread to the top, hold on to it and then start and finish my quilting with about 5 stitches very close together (but not on top of one another, which would look unsightly) I then do another couple of stitches slightly longer, and then another couple again a little bit longer then proceed with my usual preferred length. All of this happens within about 1 inch. At the other end, I reverse the proceedure. This way you don't have to do any back stitching, which always seems to show to me. I have stopped knotting the ends of my thread, before sewing them in, as the very close stitches hold well enough for me.

this is what i do too

Shemjo 06-30-2009 12:57 PM

pout. My machine does not have these features! I do know and tie offand hide inside the quilt. :?

Ninnie 06-30-2009 01:01 PM

When you back stitch just a little , the threads do not show!
I only do this on quilts that I know are going to be washed and used all the time, and I love having that extra security knowing the threads can not work loose. On others it is not necessary to do so.

JudeWill 07-01-2009 06:54 AM

Great idea, Barbara! I will try that. I never think of the obvious! Thanks!

JudeWill 07-01-2009 07:00 AM

Thanks for all the input everyone! Now I have some things to try.