Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tying a Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tying-quilt-t179981.html)

KimS 02-19-2012 05:34 PM

Tying a Quilt

What size or type of yarn/thread do you use to tie a quilt? Cotton, polyester, wool or a blend?

redmadder 02-19-2012 05:42 PM

I've tried so many different things. Wool shrinks down into a little ball that never comes loose. Embroidery thread will sometimes slip out. Pearl cotton is slick and will eventually slip out of the knot. Cotton sport weight frays over time but doesn't come loose. Acrylic knitting yarn stays put. Baby weight acrylic stays put. Does this help?

Tartan 02-19-2012 05:48 PM

It depends on the look you are going for and on the recipient. Some people like embroidery floss or crochet cotton or yarn etc. Make sure whatever you decide on is colourfast. If the recipient is a small child keep the string/thread ends short so they don't cause a choking hazard (if they come off) or a circulation problem if wound around a tiny finger or toe. Some people like to use the zig zag tacking feature on the sewing machine.
Recently someone posted on QB a tied prayer quilt where the ties are left long and a person ties a knot when they visit and say a prayer. Some people leave them longer for Alzheimer (sp) lap quilts so they have something to keep their hands busy. Good luck on your project!

lfw045 02-19-2012 05:49 PM

I use embroidery thread and double knot it.....I don't hsve a problem with it comming loose.

dlong 02-19-2012 06:07 PM

My quilting club uses cotton croquet thread with a square knot.

GrannieAnnie 02-19-2012 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by KimS (Post 4989834)
What size or type of yarn/thread do you use to tie a quilt? Cotton, polyester, wool or a blend?

I hate yarn. I'm using crochet cotton for the baby quilt I'm almost done with. I also use embroidery floss.

GrannieAnnie 02-19-2012 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by redmadder (Post 4989855)
I've tried so many different things. Wool shrinks down into a little ball that never comes loose. Embroidery thread will sometimes slip out. Pearl cotton is slick and will eventually slip out of the knot. Cotton sport weight frays over time but doesn't come loose. Acrylic knitting yarn stays put. Baby weight acrylic stays put. Does this help?

If you use a square knot and double it, and leave about an inch tag, IT WILL NOT SLIP LOOSE. EVER!

paulettepoe 02-19-2012 08:17 PM

I bar tack. this has always served me well.

jemma 02-19-2012 11:04 PM

granni annie i am with yuo

majormom 02-20-2012 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by redmadder (Post 4989855)

Thank you for this! I have been wondering what to use and your info is so helpful.