Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tying a quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tying-quilt-t284272.html)

marge954 12-06-2016 02:42 PM

Tying a quilt

I would like to try tying a quilt but have one question. Can you wash the quilt in the washer if you tie it? Thanks!

Sewnoma 12-06-2016 02:55 PM

Sure! My gran tied ALL of her quilts, and they were washed over and over and over again.

Some would "lose" ties periodically, she'd just re-tye them for us. No lasting problems whatsoever.

lynnie 12-06-2016 03:04 PM

of course you can. I used to use emb floss, it came in every color to match. Never had a problem with mine. show us your quilt please.

PaperPrincess 12-06-2016 03:17 PM

Sure, just observe the info on the batting package. That will tell you how close the ties should be. Remember that this measurement is in all directions, including the diagonal.

cashs_mom 12-06-2016 03:20 PM

My mother's mother tied all the quilts she made and they got washed over and over for 25 years or so and did just fine. As Sewnoma says, sometimes they would lose ties, but my mom just retied them and they were good to go. I do remember her using some funny curved needles that she said made tying easier.

nativetexan 12-06-2016 04:28 PM

Yep, I have curved needles, long needles for doll and toy eyes, etc. You never know when one will come in handy.

cashs_mom 12-06-2016 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 7713645)
Yep, I have curved needles, long needles for doll and toy eyes, etc. You never know when one will come in handy.

I kept all the oddball needles my mom had just because of that. I have used a couple of the long ones with long narrow eyes. They don't take up much room and you never know when that will be exactly the thing you need.

mamagrande 12-06-2016 06:45 PM

I have one that is about 30 years old, has been washed and dried many, many times, is faded but it is still together. I like to use a high loft batting on tied comforters because they are so fluffy. I use Aunt Martha crochet thread for tying.

Patches1900 12-06-2016 07:54 PM

I still like to tie a quilt occasionally - an excuse to use a medium or high loft batt which makes them so cozy and to use up some embroidery floss I have collected. Lots of older quilts were tied with yarn. If you have a computerized machine you can tie with a single decorative stitch - that is fun, too! The curved doll needles make tying easier on the hands than a regular straight large eyed needle.

sherian 12-06-2016 08:50 PM

I tie most of my quilts and lap robes. I put cotton on one side and flannel. On the other side. Mostly themed fabric that the person I am giving it to favorite thing. I give these away to friends with cancer, children with cancer. Also to newborns and some nursing homes. My grandchildren love them they call them warm and cool. One says summer and winter. They wash and dry wonderful. They last year's and take a hard time. Also add a bag to match for trips to chemo. They are looking in to a plant near by ALlied Chemical which has changed names two times now. For planet putting waste in river and water supy.