Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   UFO or Designated Stash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ufo-designated-stash-t240746.html)

IrishNY 02-09-2014 04:43 PM

UFO or Designated Stash?

I just posted a completed UFO in Pictures and mentioned that I don't have many UFO's. That may not be completely true and I'll open the question to debate. I define a UFO as a project that is in process - fabric has been cut, perhaps some sewing done, maybe even a top that remains unquilted. I usually finish a project once I cut the fabric, so don't have many UFO's.

What I do have lots of is fabric that has been gathered and grouped together, usually with the pattern I intend to use. I haven't cut anything and could still re-purpose the fabric into another quilt if I wanted. I don't consider that a UFO, but rather stash that is designated. So I have stash, designated stash and a few UFO's. ;)

What do you consider a UFO?

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-09-2014 04:46 PM

I pretty much agree with you.

Jackie Spencer 02-09-2014 04:50 PM

I don't consider my finished quilt tops UFO's. I send them out to be longarm quilted and can only afford to have so many done. To me a UFO is something that has been started and then layed aside for one reason or another.

quilts4charity 02-09-2014 05:01 PM

I'm with you on this one...if it's not started it's not a UFO! I don't have too terribly many either.... I do have 6 quilts to bind that I've finished quilting.

Jeanne S 02-09-2014 05:05 PM

I call it the same way you do. I have all the fabric and selected patterns for my next 3 quilts but have not started them so have not considered them UFOs, nor is the one I am currently working on!!

dunster 02-09-2014 05:08 PM

I agree with you. IMHO, a UFO is a started project, which means fabric has been cut for it and it's sitting around waiting to be finished. I routinely pull out fabrics for a specific pattern, change my mind, put the fabrics back into my stash, and start over, maybe with that pattern, maybe with a different one. Since no Object (the O in UFO) has been started, no UFO exists.

I also don't consider small things started in class to be UFO's if the purpose of the class was to learn a technique. The output from the class might be incorporated into a quilt someday, but that doesn't mean it's a UFO until then. It's just a class sample. It has fulfilled its purpose and it can't nag me to do anything more with it.

An unquilted top - now that's a UFO, even if it's waiting to be sent to the longarmer. Sorry Jackie, I have to disagree with you on that one. You could claim, however, that it's unfinished by the longarmer, not by you, even if she doesn't have it yet. :p

quiltingwifechick 02-09-2014 05:11 PM

I have 3 UFO's that need to be quilted & bound. Another 2 grouping of blocks I started that no longer interest me.
A UFO occurs once you have started & then it sits there, and sits there & sits there! Ha! Quilting is my hobby & I want to enjoy it, so once I don't like something I move on. My mom on the other hand, starts and finishes one project at a time. I am too ADD for that. I have about 4 projects that I have bought fabric for or have fabric picked out, those are not UFO's. Will be checking out your finished project picture now!

Clueless Quilter 02-09-2014 05:12 PM

I agree with you on the stash and designated stash but agree with Jackie on the UFO's

NJ Quilter 02-09-2014 05:22 PM

I, too, only have a couple of UFO's...which fall into the category of completed tops waiting to be quilted. One because I've still, a few years later, not decided how I want to quilt it. Another one or two that are BOM's that I'm not overly inspired by so the quilting remains to be done for them as well. I also usually start a project and go until it's completed.

Ladibug 02-09-2014 05:25 PM

Sounds good to me!!! lol