Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Uggh! My early warning signal didn't work!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/uggh-my-early-warning-signal-didnt-work-t252190.html)

Jan in VA 08-20-2014 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 6852868)
My Bernina 1530 has no warning bell but if I listen carefully, my Bernina makes a slightly different noise. I learned that from my dealer.

Yep, 'tis true. :)
I can hear it nearly every time within half an inch if stitching.

PlanoDebbie 08-20-2014 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by mary quilting (Post 6852723)
dust out the bobbin case might help

This was going to be my suggestion as well. My brother also has a warning notice that pops up on the screen when my bobbin is low. Of course it usually pops up when my bobbin is still half full, so I have to constantly be checking so the same doesn't happen to me. When the fuzz and lint really starts building up inside my bobbin case area, my bobbin indicator stops working all together and I know it's time to get my machine serviced.

I now know to brush out my bobbin case area with every bobbin change so that it doesn't build up so badly.

jeanne49 08-20-2014 07:50 PM

Take it in - I had the same problem one time and I am so used to that signal that I just can't sew without it. I have a preventive maintenance policy so I take my machine in quarterly just for them to give it a really good cleaning but I can take it in whenever I have any problem, no matter how minor.

pacarnahan 08-21-2014 02:35 AM

Use a bobbin for the top thread, so they will run out together and you will notice it! (A hint from my quilt guild)

nancyw 08-21-2014 02:45 AM

It also won't work if the bobbin case door is open. Ask me how I know.

Debbie C 08-21-2014 03:23 AM

I find a can of pressured air really works well to clean out all those un-reachable areas. Get it at the office supply store.

glorcour 08-21-2014 03:28 AM

When I use a very fine thread, my bobbin low warning seems not to work. Try a bobbin with different thread.

Aurora 08-21-2014 04:18 AM

Since I only sew on a vintage machine, there is no warning and I don't really need one. I always notice immediately when the bobbin thread has run out.

Also, I read that using pressurized air and even blowing is not recommended as you can blow loose lint further into you machine causing more problems.

lclang 08-21-2014 04:20 AM

I have a Babylock and if I wind the bobbins myself the bobbin warning works pretty good, however I use a lot of prewound bobbins and they apparently have a lot more thread on them so it warns, and warns, and warns for the last fourth of the bobbin. It is not all it's cracked up to be!

Sewnoma 08-21-2014 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Aurora (Post 6853484)
Also, I read that using pressurized air and even blowing is not recommended as you can blow loose lint further into you machine causing more problems.

My dealer told me the same thing. He said it's fine to use on the outside of the machine to blast of general dust and thread lint, but for the inside it's a no-no. I use a skinny paintbrush with splayed-out bristles and a chenille stem to snag dust from deep inside the machine and it's amazing how much stuff I can find within reach to pull out of there...who knows how much stuff is out of reach!!