Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ugh! The perfect color/not enough! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ugh-perfect-color-not-enough-t123804.html)

Kas 05-17-2011 01:20 PM

I am making a baby quilt for a shower coming up sooner than I would like and so I got to digging through my stash. I found the perfect colors together, but there isn't enough of several of them for me to do what I want to do with the pattern. I HAD to go to the quilt shop to find replacements :lol: . When I got there I (thankfully) measured another of the fabrics I was going to use and there isn't enough of it, either! So I bought four new fabrics. I am happier with not having to fudge it, but I was feeling so good about myself for finding everything in my stash. I think from now on I will buy at least 3/4yrd of a fabric and more likely a whole yard. A half doesn't seem to do much.

nanaquilter 05-17-2011 01:56 PM

I bought several 1/2 yard cuts from a store going out of business. Each time I think I'm going to use some of it, it is always a little short.

Carron 05-17-2011 01:58 PM

Been there done that. I now buy a bit more than needed.

Rose L 05-17-2011 02:02 PM

I use a lot of small cuts in my piecing and save the larger cuts for borders, sashings and large single piece blocks. For example...if I need to make many small blue and white 4 squares, I use a variety of blues and whites instead of the same two fabrics in each set. I think it adds more texture and variety that way. If I have to buy more for something I don't usually worry over it, I'll always find a way to use up the small piece and just replace it with something new if I need to. You will find a way to use up your smaller stash, you just have to think outside the box.

cjomomma 05-17-2011 03:03 PM

I always buy a minimum of a yard because anything smaller is too little for me to work with.

QuiltNGanny 05-17-2011 03:19 PM

Yep. Never fails that what works perfectly from my stash doesn't have enough or I have a large piece and can't figure out what else I can use the leftover in - other than scrappy. Glad to see the answers here as usual! Does that mean fewer trips to the LQS? I think not! hehe

PaperPrincess 05-17-2011 03:20 PM

I just read a suggestion somewhere that you should buy a yard and a quarter so you have the option of cutting it on either grain. I think I'm going to start doing this as I like to cut the fabric with the grain rather than selvedge to selvedge.

Jim 05-17-2011 04:08 PM

I rarely buy any less than two yards...the only time I do is when I buy a large number of fabrics for a planned quilt.

gramajo 05-17-2011 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Carron

But how do you know how much is needed if you're just buying it because you love it without a pattern in mind? :D Another question re: this. If you're just buying because you love it, how much do you usually buy--1/2, 3/4 , 1 yd?

Kas 05-17-2011 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by gramajo

Originally Posted by Carron

But how do you know how much is needed if you're just buying it because you love it without a pattern in mind? :D Another question re: this. If you're just buying because you love it, how much do you usually buy--1/2, 3/4 , 1 yd?

At least a half yard and that is what got me into trouble! :lol: Now as I am looking at it, the pattern is really supposed to be a rag quilt so it is calling for 1/2 inch seam allowances. Duh! I probably will be able to have enough on one of the old fabrics if I am careful because I was 1/2" shy. Now both pieces of the block are 1/2" smaller, so I really have an extra 1/2" to work with. Cornfused yet? Me too! I have quit cutting for the night!