Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ugh (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ugh-t217827.html)

lauriejo 03-31-2013 04:56 AM

I just keep telling myself it builds character ;)

mom-6 03-31-2013 05:01 AM

Quiltngolfer - my solution to getting from layout to machine is having my design wall (otherwise known as back side of flannel back tablecloth) directly behind my machine so I just have to reach up and grab the two pieces I'm sewing together. If it is big pieces, like two strips of already stitched together squares, I will hold or pin the top of the seam edges together as I take them down so I don't get confused and pin them together backwards. This has greatly diminished my ripping out. Still have other boo boos, but that's another story.

Luv Quilts and Cats 03-31-2013 07:12 AM

Rip happens! To all of us. Some days the sewing just doesn't go well. So I put it away and step away and take a breather!

isewman 03-31-2013 07:49 AM

My sister/law, got this at a yard sale5-6 years ago. And I do believe what it says. It's a wooden heart, with a pair of wooden scissors, on it, and the saying says--"As ye sew, so shall ye rip". I've have learnt to believe that line.

quiltingeileen 03-31-2013 07:52 AM

My seam ripper is my best friend! I think ripping out just goes with quilting. Some days it just gets to me too. Overall, on a good day I am just happy to sew.

Chasing Hawk 03-31-2013 08:36 AM

Well at least in the privacy of your sewing area, no one can hear you curse.......LOL

jbingwell 04-01-2013 02:40 AM

I have just started using a beard trimmer, then pick up the little left over threads carefully with masking tape. The blades on the beard trimmer are tiny enough not to catch the fabric. Just 'Google' stitch removal with beard trimmer for more info.

Reba'squilts 04-01-2013 03:33 AM

I am always on a quest for a better seam ripper. Sew....I guess I do my share..or more!

marymay 04-01-2013 03:58 AM

I say "you are not a quilter unless you rip out some squares when making a quilt"

quilterpurpledog 04-01-2013 05:12 AM

for hopetoquilt: there are a number of comments as to ripping or unsewing. It would be nice to be proficient and attentive to our quilting that w never had to do it. But we all know that that is not going to happen any time soon! You are rightly concerned about holes in your fabric. Some of the methods mentioned in this thread require pulling two layers apart and cutting the exposed threads. Care must be taken so that stretching the pieces does not happen. My preferred method is to use the tip of my seam ripper to lift and cut every five or six stitches on one side of the seam and then pull the long thread on the opposite side of the piece. No stretching involved. The bits of thread can be removed with tape or roller easily. I try to always take out my mistakes before I put my work away for the day so I can come back to a 'move forward' situation.