Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ugh, today of all days... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ugh-today-all-days-t25090.html)

justwannaquilt 09-06-2009 01:55 PM

Gayle, That is a GREAT road block to hit, I know when my husband came home from Iraq it seamed like I didn't sew for months...lol wasn't really that long but I know I didn't sew for the first week (he had two weeks off when he came home). He played golf a few times during week two so thats when I would sew! Have fun while the kids are home!

for those that sugested asking the neighbor, these people that live around me probably don't even know what one is used for. I might get a curling iron handed to me. LOL

Lisanne, lol that wasn't the smartest thing for me to do was it? That is NOT something I would normally do, but I knew the stupid thing wasn't hot because 1) it wasn't doing the job and 2) when I picked it up and got my hand close I didn't feel any heat coming off of it! Under normal working conditions I would not have touched a HOT iron. lol

Oh well life goes on I have to run to the store later for milk anyway, that and I only have oh well a few things I have around here to finish up. I actually sat down and started quilting on a quilt for my husbands grandma it is almost done, THANK GOODNESS I hate the fabric/pattern. That is the main reason it didn't get finished before now! oh well at least now it will be done and I don't have to look at the stupid thing sitting on my dresser any longer.

Well Liam is done eating so back to sewing I go!

minstrel 09-07-2009 05:03 AM

My roadblocks? Lately, it's company. My aunt came to visit from out of state and brought her best friend. Which means not only company while they're here but cleaning beforehand (up to THEIR standards, of course! I don't mind dust and the occasional dog hair :mrgreen: LOL) and then cooking all the stuff my grandma used to make. My aunt isn't married, so doesn't make some of the (more labor intensive) family favorites, so I cook them for her when she visits. Then there's clean-up, and visiting, etc., etc. Maybe some day I'll get back to my sewing room :D

GailG 09-08-2009 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lisanne

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
My latest roadblock? Getting off the computer :lol: :lol:

Same for me!

Hmm, I'm wondering if you could heat an iron skillet and use that for a quick pressing. But, please, if you want to check whether it's warm enough, put it on the fabric and then touch the fabric, not the pan!

What about setting your "dead" iron on the iron skillet until it's hot and then apply IT to the fabric. That's what the old folks did with the heavy irons. Heated them on the iron stove. :lol:

justwannaquilt 09-08-2009 07:29 AM

Hey thats a great idea!!!

My husband called me on the way home from golf and I told him my iron died. I guess he got the hint and he stopped at the store and got me one! I ended up finishing the quiling on his grandma's quilt and I am working on the binding I haven't even touched the other quilt since I got the iron! I did however iron th binding for this quilt though! lol

Gwyn 09-08-2009 07:38 AM

Aren't husbands great!!! Gwyn

triciasquilts 09-08-2009 08:18 AM

I go thru irons like crazy since I have it on almost all day when I'm quilting. So about every 6 months or so, I have to buy a new one, if I'm lucky. I bought an expensive one a couple years ago and it didn't last as long as the cheaper Black and Decker ones I always buy at walmart. In fact the B/D ones have been the best ones that I've used. And they are only about $30-$40.

wvdek 09-08-2009 08:28 AM

Umm, like the idea of heating the iron in the skillet, but if it is an iron skillet it should be 'seasoned' and you don't want that on the iron which will get on the fabric.

Would hate for you to ruin your fabric.

RedGarnet222 09-08-2009 09:36 AM

Oh what a nice guy! I hope you are going to show it when you are finished.

GailG 09-08-2009 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
Umm, like the idea of heating the iron in the skillet, but if it is an iron skillet it should be 'seasoned' and you don't want that on the iron which will get on the fabric.

Would hate for you to ruin your fabric.

How about covering it with a piece of foil. Would that work?

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 09-08-2009 11:56 AM

Whip out your flat iron for hair!