Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The ugliest throw alive! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ugliest-throw-alive-t245848.html)

Annie Pearl 04-27-2014 07:45 AM

The ugliest throw alive!

I have tried my hand at scrappy and failed miserably! I am making a throw that has 20 pieced blocks and 10 one piece blocks. I guess my 1/4 inch seam is not what it should be and most of the pieced blocks are anywhere from and 1/8 to and 1/2 inch small. I don't really want to redo all the blocks because it's going to be less than pretty anyway. Could I take the easy way out and sew them together and then square up the entire quilt? Then I will practice, practice and practice some more on that elusive 1/4 inch seam.

amyjo 04-27-2014 07:51 AM

Sounds like a plan. Maybe put a sashing around each large block, making that square would make it a little prettier.

Tartan 04-27-2014 07:55 AM

It depends on the pattern if the pieced blocks could be trimmed or you might cut them to make a new pattern like Disappearing Nine Patch. If you can say what the pattern of the pieced blocks are, someone might be able to offer some hints.

barny 04-27-2014 08:06 AM

If you don't want to cut the 10 blocks down to the pieced one's size, set them aside and measure the pieced ones, and cut new 10 ones to correct size. You can put sashing around them too or you can do just what you asked and use it the way it turns out. Save it, and you'll be able to see how you are growing in your work. It's fun to see. Don't despair. Keep on.

ckcowl 04-27-2014 08:31 AM

when you have the 20 pieced blocks all made measure them- find the smallest one and trim/square up all the rest to be the same size as that one. then cut your 1-piece blocks that size; that way everything will match when you put it together. before putting it together take a small ruler with a 1/4" mark on it- lower your sewing machine needle and line up the center of the needle with the 1/4" mark on the ruler- then put a piece of masking tape (or a small stack of flag-post it's) along the edge of the ruler- on the sewing machine bed- that will give you a line to follow to keep you stitching a consistent 1/4". if you choose a neutral, white, cream, black or a dominate color in the pieced blocks to use for the solid squares it will tie it all together and make it surprisingly *not ugly* ,,,you might just like it when you get it together. :) remember to show us some pictures. :thumbup:

Annie Pearl 04-27-2014 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6693206)
It depends on the pattern if the pieced blocks could be trimmed or you might cut them to make a new pattern like Disappearing Nine Patch. If you can say what the pattern of the pieced blocks are, someone might be able to offer some hints.

The blocks are a four patch with solid borders on all sides.

Rodney 04-27-2014 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 6693265)
when you have the 20 pieced blocks all made measure them- find the smallest one and trim/square up all the rest to be the same size as that one. then cut your 1-piece blocks that size; that way everything will match when you put it together. before putting it together take a small ruler with a 1/4" mark on it- lower your sewing machine needle and line up the center of the needle with the 1/4" mark on the ruler- then put a piece of masking tape (or a small stack of flag-post it's) along the edge of the ruler- on the sewing machine bed- that will give you a line to follow to keep you stitching a consistent 1/4". if you choose a neutral, white, cream, black or a dominate color in the pieced blocks to use for the solid squares it will tie it all together and make it surprisingly *not ugly* ,,,you might just like it when you get it together. :) remember to show us some pictures. :thumbup:

I'd recommend this.
Your blocks should come out nicely since they have a solid border on them already.
Rodney

Susan Sendt 04-29-2014 03:02 AM

I struggled like crazy when I first tried to sew a top with all 5" charms. That 1/4" seam and I were not getting along. So I bought a 1/4"foot that has a guide and it has made all the difference in the world! Amazon was where I bought it.

quiltmom04 04-29-2014 03:44 AM

I think adding a border and then trimming would work fine. Just look at all the quilts that are made with blocks PURPOSELY askew! It would be very cute, and at least give you something to use at the end.

keegancak 04-29-2014 03:59 AM

The ugliest throw alive

I heard a great way to figure out if you have a 1/4" seam. Stitch together three 1 1/2" strips, then turn it over and put a 1 inch ruler on top of the middle strip. If it goes from seam to seam exactly, then you have the correct 1/4" seam. If not, do it again lining up where it should be until you come up with a perfect one inch, then you will know where your 1/4" line is on your sewing machine. I did that, and am now having things line up much better.