Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ugly quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ugly-quilts-t181693.html)

QuiltingCrazie 03-05-2012 03:30 AM

Ugly quilts

Ok so I'm guilty of looking but did you know they have forums with posts of ugly quilts. Some don't belong and thank heaven I had a great teacher so I never made a weird or wonky quilt. Wow just had to share because I thought there was no such thing but.....at least I can learn from other mistakes. There's even a contest.....

ckcowl 03-05-2012 03:44 AM

there are quilts that are made Ugly on purpose---check out the site for (my brother's keeper) it is a charitable program-making quilts for the homeless---they ask that the quilts be made ugly=the uglier the better---just warm---because when the quilts are beautiful people steal them! i can not imagine someone stealing from a homeless person---but it happens- so- ugly quilts is one of the options. it is a great program.

ptquilts 03-05-2012 04:44 AM

A long time ago at the beginning of the internet, there was an annual "Ugly Quilt" contest, in conjunction with a book that came out. It was HILARIOUS, especially the judges' comments. I remember one that had a nylon knee-high stuck to the back somehow. Wish I could find it again.

Daylesewblessed 03-05-2012 05:02 AM

Ptquilts, I think you must be remembering Ami Simms contest: amisimms.com
You are right -- it is hilarious!

Dayle

CRELLA 03-05-2012 05:35 AM

i never saw a ugly quilt

TerryQuilter 03-05-2012 07:27 AM

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. I don't think I've ever seen an ugly quilt.

Jan in VA 03-05-2012 10:51 AM

I've made some quilts I later thought were ugly. But, as always, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Jan in VA

TanyaL 03-05-2012 10:56 AM

My second quilt is so poorly sewn that i think it qualifies as ugly. However, I think the colors are beautiful. It is all 60 degree triangles on point - I copied from a picture, had no instruction, the bias stretched, the points got cut off about half the time. LOL It looks like some poor little orphan - but the colors are to die for.

Vanuatu Jill 03-05-2012 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by CRELLA (Post 5032605)
i never saw a ugly quilt

Then you haven't seen my first one-posted it here a while ago when there was another thread on ugly quilts. Actually, I have (had) an even uglier one (if that was even possible!), but couldn't waste the film taking a picture-the only quilt of over 30 that I haven't got a pic of!! TRUST ME--IT WAS UGLY!!

DogHouseMom 03-05-2012 11:30 AM

I remember seeing an ongoing ugly or bad quilt contest some time ago. I remember one quilt in particular, a crazy quilt and one rather large piece was wool while the rest of it was not. Well .. the quilt had been washed and dried and the single wool piece looked like it was trying to swallow the rest of the quilt whole. It was hysterical.