Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Uh-Uh....No Way! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/uh-uh-no-way-t302473.html)

Boston1954 01-22-2019 07:08 PM

Uh-Uh....No Way!

Is there a pattern that you would never do? It's too hard, it's too boring, you've never seen decent instructions etc.? Or are you the adventurous type? You'll try anything....once.

I love the look of double wedding ring. It's gorgeous, but I am too chicken to try even mild curves. I am also no good at Y seams. I've seen some beautiful stuff that will not happen in my sewing room.

How about you?

Sandra in Minnesota 01-22-2019 07:12 PM

I Love the double wedding ring, but am too chicken to try. I have been quilting for only 15 years and probably need more experience.

sarge1 01-22-2019 07:12 PM

Tried a feathered star once. Once. One block. Never again. It's beautiful, and I have mad respect for anyone who can do it well.

hcarpanini 01-22-2019 07:17 PM

Check Eleanor Burns. She has one I would like to try.

Peckish 01-22-2019 07:18 PM

I love a good challenge. :)

GingerK 01-22-2019 07:20 PM

Yes absolutely!! There are many patterns waaaay above my experience level. I can drool as I look at them and even possibly purchase them in a moment of "I really think I could do that--sometime". Yup have done that too. But I also have managed to create some items that have totally surprised me.

Never say never. If you stop trying you stop growing. OK enough philosophical stuff.

zozee 01-22-2019 07:25 PM

I'm still young in quilting experience, so I have many things to learn or try. In the earliest years, I said "I'll never--" to several things I'd see, because they looked too challenging. But I have done them. So I try' not to say "never" but 'probably won't" because I know myself. Mainly I don't like 1) tiny pieces (under 2" square) so probably won't make anything too large that requires them 2) certain blocks (one that looks like a swastika--would never--yes, I'll say never-never use one if I got it in a swap 3) intricate paper piecing (I like bigger blocks and lose my interest in something that takes a lot of concentration for a long time .

I might never make a 2-color quilt because, as hard as I try, I can't seem to limit myself to only two. It would have to be a 2-color challenge, but even then I would not use the same two fabrics. To me, I know I'd fizzle out if I had to do umpteen identical blocks in only two fabrics.

Tartan 01-22-2019 08:32 PM

There are so many quilts I see on the internet and not nearly enough time or energy to get to the ones that tempt me.

Anniedeb 01-22-2019 08:51 PM

Yes! The Jacqueline De Jonge quilt that Elise1 posted about the other day! I love the colors, and the design, and the look, but little pieces and curves are not in my wheelhouse. Never say never is a good model to live by, but I just don't see myself ever doing that one!

sewbizgirl 01-22-2019 10:32 PM

I probably wouldn't attempt a New York Beauty type quilt, or any of those big stars with long spikey points. I forget who designs those... but I don't like them enough to put myself through the misery of making one.